Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Insulation on basement walls

Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 8:05�pm, sid wrote:
Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. �Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

its probably a good idea.

Incidently fiberglass isnt a good choice moisture makes it
ineffective. closed cell foam or foam board much better
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

Local codes are you final answer.

I would insulate. I am dubious about the merits of a vapor barrier in this
case.

It might do more harm than benefit. It really depends on what use the other
parties are making of their space.

If there is any moisture in there at all it needs somewhere to go or mold
will develop.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Jan 4, 7:15*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. *Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

Local codes are you final answer.

I would insulate. I am dubious about the merits of a vapor barrier in this
case.

It might do more harm than benefit. *It really depends on what use the other
parties are making of their space.

If there is any moisture in there at all it needs somewhere to go or mold
will develop.

Colbyt

I plan to use foam-board between the concrete and the studs on the
front and back (outside) walls with fiberglass between the studs, but
I wanted to know peoples opinion on how much to insulate the side
(common) walls ? I don't think the other parties make use of their
space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

I would not use any vapor barrier except for paint/sealer directly on the
masonry. If any moisture should make its way thru the masonry you do not
want it trapped in your wall.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Other than sound insulation, I see no benefit insulating the party
walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 7:05*pm, sid wrote:
Finishing a basement under a condo and the two side walls are common
with other basements on either side. *Do I still need a vapor barrier
and insulation on these walls ?

Thanks

Forget using plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier against a concrete
wall below grade (or any mechanically adjacent non-breathing barrier
like styrofoam), it will develop condensation and mold between the
wall and plastic, then cause an odor or worse. Instead just paint the
concrete with 2 coats of latex DryLoc. Then frame, insulate
(optional), and drywall it up. This way the wall cavity can breath a
little and you wont have any mold as hydrostatic pressure or
condensation forces moisture through the concrete wall (all below
grade walls have more moisture relative to the room). DryLoc as a
vapor barrier leaves no gap for condensation to form because it soaks
about 1/32 inch into the wall surface itself when applied.

Wet Insulation in Basement Walls Jake Home Repair 6 August 7th 06 08:14 PM
Fibreglass Insulation for basement walls question Doobielicious Home Repair 4 November 17th 05 05:58 PM
Electric Baseboard heater for basement? Insulation between studs and walls? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 5th 05 11:54 AM
Basement walls mamamia1901 Home Repair 1 December 13th 04 08:01 PM
Insulating basement walls with rigid insulation Speedy Jim Home Repair 9 February 9th 04 05:12 PM