Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal threshold results in ice indoors

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air is
condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

You get what your paid for. Get a good wood threshold and solve your problem
post haste if you have wood floors!

Report back how you solved it.

Rich

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:27:58 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

Lift the metal threshold out. Clean and put three beads of clear
silicon caulk down, maybe 1/2 inch bead or less. Place the threshold
back in place. No more leaks... in or out..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

Lift the metal threshold out. Clean and put three beads of clear
silicon caulk down, maybe 1/2 inch bead or less. Place the threshold
back in place. No more leaks... in or out..

He doesn't have leaks he has a thermal connection to the below freezing
temps outside his door, that's causing humidity to freeze then thaw and will
ruin his wood floor. He needs to pull up the aluminum and put down a good
threshold that has a thermal break and good weather strip and then his
problem will be solved.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Rich- Hide quoted text -

how about adding a good storm door? we have a steel door with metal
threshold with zero troubles...... but do have a good storm door.

our home is much warmer since the metal stanly door was installed 2
years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Haven't done it but B sounds good.

Until you redo the threshhold, a wet/dry vac might help get rid of
your ice. Use it while hitting the ice with something to break it.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It's not likely conducting cold the entire 4 or 5 inches of threshold.
There must be air leaking under it to get frost on the inside.

It could... aluminum is a good thermal conductor. If it's cold enough
outside, and the aluminum is directly exposed to the cold, the OP's
explanation seems reasonable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

It's not likely conducting cold the entire 4 or 5 inches of threshold.
There must be air leaking under it to get frost on the inside.

You mean the entire 1.75" - the thickness of the door. The threshold
could be siphoning off heat through conduction for either distance.
If ice is forming on the inside, it certainly is. Other posters have
addressed the remedy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

Is it smooth ice or frost? Frost won't damage your floor.

I grew up in a 19th Century house in VT. There were no storm doors.
When it was well below zero, door handles would sometimes turn white.
No wetness resulted.

In NC, sometimes I'll open curtains and find smooth ice on windows.
This will rot windowsills.

The difference is the dew point. White frost formed in VT because the
dew point indoors was below freezing. So the frost evaporated without
thawing. In NC, the smooth ice in windows is frozen condensation. The
water condensed above freezing and will melt when the window warms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/08 02:23 pm E Z Peaces wrote:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

The ice/frost is not in contact with the floor. But when it melts the
floor will get wet.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

Place a rolled up blanket, sand bags, or door draft stopper at the
bottom of the door. Consider a storm door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Place a rolled up blanket, sand bags, or door draft stopper at the
bottom of the door. Consider a storm door.

I didn't mention that this is a double door -- approx. 6' opening. Would
storm doors work with this setup?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

/If/ it melts. Can you tell the difference between smooth ice and frost?

Long Metal Threshold - Where to buy? Amy L Home Repair 5 February 16th 06 02:52 AM
Grit blasting indoors? mark b UK diy 17 March 6th 05 03:07 PM
The project that broke my metal brake, (plus some powder coating results) James Lerch Metalworking 5 January 10th 05 01:46 AM
Sandblasting Indoors BP Metalworking 3 January 12th 04 05:25 PM
Sanding indoors Dave Woodworking 7 September 10th 03 04:05 AM