Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default Metal threshold results in ice indoors

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:27:58 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Our front door has an aluminum alloy threshold, and we have just noticed
that ice is forming on the indoor side of it; this, when it melts, will
not be good for our wooden floor.

What must be happening, I am sure, is that, because the outdoor
temperature is now well below freezing, water-vapor from the indoor air
is condensing an freezing on the surface.

Short of (a) replacing the threshold by a wooden one or (b) cutting the
aluminum one lengthwise and interposing a "thermal barrier" between the
two sections, what's a good way of solving this problem?

Perce

Lift the metal threshold out. Clean and put three beads of clear
silicon caulk down, maybe 1/2 inch bead or less. Place the threshold
back in place. No more leaks... in or out..

He doesn't have leaks he has a thermal connection to the below freezing
temps outside his door, that's causing humidity to freeze then thaw and will
ruin his wood floor. He needs to pull up the aluminum and put down a good
threshold that has a thermal break and good weather strip and then his
problem will be solved.

Rich