Posted to alt.home.repair

Default porch fan need on/off switch?

I am installing a new porch fan. The romex to the box in the ceiling
connects directly to another box in the attic and from there to the
main panel. All connections are weather protected.
I plan to put a remote control assembly above the ceiling, so there
will not be anon/off swich to the fan other than the remote 'clicker'.
Is it acceptable to have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside
the house) as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the
main breaker?
tia
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am installing a new porch fan. The romex to the box in the ceiling
connects directly to another box in the attic and from there to the
main panel. All connections are weather protected.
I plan to put a remote control assembly above the ceiling, so there
will not be anon/off swich to the fan other than the remote 'clicker'.
Is it acceptable to have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside
the house) as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the
main breaker?
tia
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

Can't answer your code question, but I guess I'm showing my age 'cause
I'd think a pull chain switch on the fan motor would be simpler.

Unless of course you can't easily install such a switch on the existing
fan or you're seeking security against unauthorized folks controlling
the fan. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"I am installing a new porch fan. ... Is it acceptable to
have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside the house)
as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the
main breaker?"

I can't address the code issues, but I'd advise against it.
Sooner or later the remote/clicker will become lost, broken,
or the battery will fail with no spares in the house and the
stores closed. Then you will wish you had a way to turn the
fan on or off.

Best regards to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 2:30*am, "CWLee" wrote:
wrote:

"I am installing a new porch fan. ... Is it acceptable to
have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside the house)
as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the
main breaker?"

I can't address the code issues, but I'd advise against it.
Sooner or later the remote/clicker will become lost, broken,
or the battery will fail with no spares in the house and the
stores closed. *Then you will wish you had a way to turn the
fan on or off.

Best regards to all.

The fans typically have an on/off switch/chain in additon to the
remote. Certainly there are many to choose from that do. IMO, if
you don't already have a wall switch, it's usually not worth the
trouble putting one in. Some have claimed there is some code issue
involved, but I'm not aware of any code that says you have to have a
wall switch.