Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default porch fan need on/off switch?

In article
,
wrote:

On Dec 17, 2:30*am, "CWLee" wrote:
wrote:

"I am installing a new porch fan. ... Is it acceptable to
have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside the house)
as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the
main breaker?"

I can't address the code issues, but I'd advise against it.
Sooner or later the remote/clicker will become lost, broken,
or the battery will fail with no spares in the house and the
stores closed. *Then you will wish you had a way to turn the
fan on or off.

Best regards to all.

The fans typically have an on/off switch/chain in additon to the
remote. Certainly there are many to choose from that do. IMO, if
you don't already have a wall switch, it's usually not worth the
trouble putting one in. Some have claimed there is some code issue
involved, but I'm not aware of any code that says you have to have a
wall switch.

I was a little disappointed to find that my new fan came with only a
remote. No other way to turn it on or off. But, it's such a fine looking
fan that it'd be worth owning even if it were driven by a burro on the
roof. No problem if the transmitter batteries die to replace them. When
the receiver batteries die then only slightly more effort to shut off
the breaker.