Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting ceramic tile

We have some ugly tile in our shower that I would like to paint. Has
anyone had any success trying this? I found what looks to be an epoxy
paint brand: Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network. Strange name,
but they claim that the paint adheres even in areas that get wet.
Thoughts?

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
We have some ugly tile in our shower that I would like to paint. Has
anyone had any success trying this? I found what looks to be an epoxy
paint brand: Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network. Strange name,
but they claim that the paint adheres even in areas that get wet.
Thoughts?

Tim

I've never been real impressed with any painted tile I have seen, but I
haven't seen that many. The majority opinion from previous threads on
here seems to be against it. Remember, it ALL gets painted, grout lines
and all. That just sort of screams out 'low budget remodel'. The usual
cautions apply- tile has to be completely degreased, and probably
acid-etched, for the paint to have any hope of sticking. Success rate is
probably about the same as for 'reglazed' (aka epoxy-painted) tubs-
looks good for a few years, but is fussier to keep clean. Ceramic tile
and porcelain glaze tubs became the standard for bathrooms because there
is little else at a similar price point that is anywhere near as
durable. (as plenty of people with 20 year old plastic tubs and shower
enclosures are finding out.)

I'd recommend a non-transparent shower curtain, and choosing some other
colors for the walls, to tone down the yuck factor, as a lower-cost
solution. Trust me, it bothers you more than anyone else that sees it. I
take it this was not a brand new house? Everyone understands that stuff
in an existing house is outside of your control, at least until you can
spring for a major remodel.

(And yes, I do understand. My main bath has tub and tile of a
pinkish-tan color not found in nature. I may or may not do a gut job on
that bath while I live here, but there are a lot of higher-priority
items on the 'must fix' list.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 9:41�pm, wrote:
We have some ugly tile in our shower that I would like to paint. �Has
anyone had any success trying this? �I found what looks to be an epoxy
paint brand: �Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network. � Strange name,
but they claim that the paint adheres even in areas that get wet.
Thoughts?

Tim

it will peel and look yuk, but hey they made money
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. The yuck factor would be high (but it very
high already).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 8:41*pm, wrote:
We have some ugly tile in our shower that I would like to paint. *Has
anyone had any success trying this? *I found what looks to be an epoxy
paint brand: *Bathtub Refinishing Referral Network. * Strange name,
but they claim that the paint adheres even in areas that get wet.
Thoughts?

Tim

Epoxy works on boats, but prep is the key. I had my tub sprayed but it
took them a day to clean it, and it was clean. 7 yrs later its fine.