Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help finding burner socket for old stove.

Stove is very old (at least 30 years) and made by
Westinghouse. Name says "Westinghouse Continental".
It has an oven under the range part and again overhead.
I find the label but can not read
the model number :-( . The label says 20.04 Kw.

The socket is made of a
heavy ceramic block. A picture is he
http://math.ucr.edu/ferguson/sock.jpg
If someone could tell me where to find one of
these things I would be very grateful. The usual
parts suppliers seem to be unable to proceed without
a model number.

Thanks in advance.

Barry
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ferguson" wrote in message
Stove is very old (at least 30 years) and made by
Westinghouse. Name says "Westinghouse Continental".
It has an oven under the range part and again overhead.
I find the label but can not read
the model number :-( . The label says 20.04 Kw.

The socket is made of a
heavy ceramic block. A picture is he
http://math.ucr.edu/ferguson/sock.jpg
If someone could tell me where to find one of
these things I would be very grateful. The usual
parts suppliers seem to be unable to proceed without
a model number.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Go find a better parts store where the guy behind the counter is a real
appliance part guy. First clues are he is at least 55-60, smokes a cigar,
growls at customers and has a pot belly.

The twerp kid at the place where you went was probably a 19 year old HS
dropout with an earring who wouldn't know a heating element from a hole in
the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 8:24�am, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:
"ferguson" wrote in message

[...]

the wall.- Hide quoted text -

exactly around pittsburgh all appliance parts is the only place to get
super old parts.

I got burner controls for a 40 year old two oven range evewryone else
said wasnt avalible at all appliance, made my old friend very happy
she loves that range
Posted to alt.home.repair

ferguson wrote:
Stove is very old (at least 30 years) and made by
Westinghouse. Name says "Westinghouse Continental".
It has an oven under the range part and again overhead.
I find the label but can not read
the model number :-( . The label says 20.04 Kw.

The socket is made of a
heavy ceramic block. A picture is he
http://math.ucr.edu/ferguson/sock.jpg
If someone could tell me where to find one of
these things I would be very grateful. The usual
parts suppliers seem to be unable to proceed without
a model number.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Go to a real parts store. Take your photo in or bring in the old part.
Pay for the replacement when they hand it to you. Install it. Simple and
easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:24:03 -0500, "Sharp Dressed Man"
wrote:

"ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you.

Barry, what city are you in. Maybe someone knows a store.

Any chance you can just clean that one up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear mm,
Thanks for the response. No, the one in the pix is a
good one. The bad one actually is filthy but I could
get by with just one of the vertical springy metal
terminals, because the
bad connector has one burned through.

I am in Riverside, CA.

Thanks again,
Barry

wrote:

"ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Sharp Dresser,

I could not agree with you more but do not know where
to find this paragon. (No shortage of twerps around
here tho.) I am in Riverside CA (Southern CA).

Sincerely,
Barry

Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
"ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:34:05 -0800, ferguson
wrote:

Dear mm,
Thanks for the response. No, the one in the pix is a
good one. The bad one actually is filthy but I could
get by with just one of the vertical springy metal
terminals, because the
bad connector has one burned through.

I am in Riverside, CA.

Thanks again,
Barry

What I did in that situation was buy a newer element and the plug to
fit IT - Solved the problem for another 20 years or so (till THAT part
is obsolete)