Posted to alt.home.repair
ap ap is offline

Default gas stove problem - 2 burner don't light

Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much
useful advice from the manufacturer.

THANKS a lot for any help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ap wrote:
Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much
useful advice from the manufacturer.

THANKS a lot for any help!

Seems simple enough- you've air & fuel, but no ignition where needed.
Could be caused by many things. I'd suggest you call your local gas
company and ask them what to do next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ap wrote:
Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much
useful advice from the manufacturer.

THANKS a lot for any help!

Hi,

We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999)

Model#?

and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

Bad spark module, cracked ignitors/electrodes, broken/chewed on wires
for the electrods/ignitors, no power from the switches to the spark
module are possible trouble makers. The acual cause would have to be
investiaged.

Something that may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/help_spark_moduals.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

clean the burners carefully, gunk builds up and shorts the ignitors

Posted to alt.home.repair

that is usually the problem especially under the burner where it contact
the range surface.

wrote:
clean the burners carefully, gunk builds up and shorts the ignitors

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you lift the whole surface of the stove and see the wires from the
igniter to the burner? On my stove the insulation on one of the wires
burned through. I just moved the wire away from the metal bracket the spark
was jumping to. Turn off the lights at night to observe.

"ap" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much
useful advice from the manufacturer.

THANKS a lot for any help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ap" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

The gas much reach the spark to ignite. Check that there is no gunk built
up where the gas would flow to the sparking igniter. In some cases, one
sparking igniter will take care of two burners. Go take a peek underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"ap" wrote in message
ps.com...

Hello,
We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have
had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners
don't light up when the knob is turned on.

We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.

We have the electric igniters.

Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something
inside is dirty?

The gas much reach the spark to ignite. Check that there is no gunk built
up where the gas would flow to the sparking igniter. In some cases, one
sparking igniter will take care of two burners. Go take a peek underneath.

There are usually a few smaller holes for gas which progress down the
burner to a place near the ignitor. If you hear the click and are able
to start the burner with a matches, probably some of those small
"start-up" holes are clogged. If you can see them, find a very thin
wire to push into and out of them to see if you can clear them.
You can also test those holes with a match and the gas on to see if
they are working.
Of course I think you said something about "sealed burners," so I
don't know how much of this is possible. --Phil
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have this problem every time my wife cleans the stove. The anode
lead gets wet and the spark "skins" over the surface of the ceramic
insulation and the burners won't ignite. There's also a problem with
corrosion building up on the burner grounding area and the spark gets
goofy. Also be careful trying to lift the burner assembly. On some
models the feed lines can't be moved and are very brittle, they'll
crack if you try to move the top. My appliance parts guys had a good
laugh when I had to replace two of our lines. They knew exactly how I'd
messed up.
Richard
..

Oil burner problem Digsy UK diy 11 May 12th 18 04:05 PM
wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 04:07 AM
Light wiring problem NOMAN UK diy 20 July 14th 04 09:34 AM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM