Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stair step dims according to code

Greetings All,
I am wondering if there is a short set of rules for residential stair tread
heights. In a nutshell,
we had a second floor added a couple of years back. The stairs are just
site-built plain old utility grade 2x treads that are held by nails and
construction adhesive. The flooring at both the bottom of said stairs and
top are now finished, so I would like to pretty up the stairway. I know
there are certain dimensions to adhere to pertaining to tread height, depth
and the max variation from tread to tread. Is this something covered by a
national code, or does it vary by municipality? An architect (student) told
me allowable tread height is from 7" to 7 1/2" and no more than 3/32"
variation in tread height over the run of stairs.
I plan on having to remove the 2x treads and hope to use the existing
stringers. I have a thickness planer, so I can pretty much make any
thickness product necessary to conform to code. Thanks to all who are able
to help, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 7:48*pm, "mark" wrote:
[...]

The usual rule of thumb is 7-11, meaning 7" riser with 11" tread, but
you can tweak the numbers a little if you had to. It definately should
not be more than 8" riser.What is the riser height now? You could
probably just rip out the 2X and put in premade oak treads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 7:48 pm, "mark" wrote:
[...]

As is, I have an 8" tread height, that's why I plan on pulling the treads
instead of just topping with something thin. I have a lot of leftover 3/4" T
& G flooring which I'm considering using.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark wrote:
[...]

The big reason for no variation in tread height is muscular expectation of
where the next step will be. If your body doesn't find the step where it
expects, there's an excellent chance of falling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Current code is as your student said. I think the current maximum
is 7 3/8 rise. If you have an existing stair it is a bit
different. I'm really lost by some of your comments. If you keep
the existing stringers how can you change the riser heights? IF
the existing risers are 8", they will still be 8" if you do the
same thing to each one. Riser height is a function of floor to
floor measurement divided by number of risers. The thickness or
thinness of tread boards will not change any of the issues except
the bottom riser.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mark wrote:
As is, I have an 8" tread height, that's why I plan on pulling the treads
instead of just topping with something thin. I have a lot of leftover 3/4" T
& G flooring which I'm considering using.

Problem is, as DanG points out, simply changing out the tread material
doesn't affect the between-steps riser height except for the top and
bottom two treads so you'll still have 8" rise on all the intermediate
steps and an uneven step at the top and bottom which is even worse than
a uniform 8" overall for tripping hazard.

To fix them correctly will require either recutting the stringer or at
minimum trimming/shimming. But, changing the height will also end up
changing the run given a fixed overall height.