Posted to alt.home.repair

Default induction motor windings

I'm in a trade where I have access to many appliance type electric
motors. My question is what is the easiest way to remove the windings
from a motor case. I don't care if I damage them as I am only after
the copper. thanks in advance.

adam
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 6, 4:01*pm, wrote:
I'm in a trade where I have access to many appliance type electric
motors. *My question is what is the easiest way to remove the windings
from a motor case. *I don't care if I damage them as I am only after
the copper. *thanks in advance.

adam

IMO there is no practical quick way of doing it. You could sit down
and pick away at the windings and maybe get a half pound of copper in
less than an hour or so, if the windings were not cemented in place as
they often are. Some research into commercial methods will be a real
clue. Expect to see nice tools like continuous conveyor furnaces
running inert atmospheres at 1500 degrees F. Since copper prices have
tanked a good bit lately, you could make more money flipping burgers.
Talk to some folks at electric motor repair shops. They do this kind
of thing routinely, and it definitely isn't cheap or quick, which is
why so many appliance motors wind up as throwaways. But hey! there may
be a surprise out there. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Al wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
I'm in a trade where I have access to many appliance type electric
motors. My question is what is the easiest way to remove the windings
from a motor case. I don't care if I damage them as I am only after
the copper. thanks in advance.

adam

Years ago I worked at a company that rewound electric
motors. The way the guys in the motor shop removed the
old windings was to slice off all the loops on one end
then pull the windings out. You might be able to slice
off the small loops with a Dremel tool equipped with a
cut off wheel. Flush cutters may also work for the small
motors.

TDD

Lots easier if you heat them up first. We used an electric oven. Get them as
hot as you can and the windings will come out. Many newer motors have
Aluminum windings. Check first or you'll waste a lot of time.

Al

Chuckle. Don't inhale the fumes from heated-up old electronics. That is
why most 'demanufacturing' operations are offshore now- they violate US
smog and OSHA laws. Among the tree-huggers, especially those in the
countries where the operations are, it is getting to be a bit of a
scandal, the Evil Western Rich Countries offloading hazardous materials
to countries not able to properly handle them, and too poor to be picky
about it. They sorta have a point.

Seriously, the outgassing from some of those remelted potting compounds
is nasty stuff.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Big Al wrote:
[...]

Back then, the motor shop at the company had a Trico vat.
Trichloroethylene in the vat was heated producing a heavy
vapor that would eat just about anything off the motor
housings when they were dipped into the tank. It was quite
amazing to see the stuff running off the stators when the
hot vapor hit them. It worked so well it was banned then
replaced by something else that was later banned because
it killed helpless little ozones and I don't know what in
the hell is being used now. Now Trichloroethylene is on the
way back, strange world.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Big Al wrote:
[...]

Ever wonder why all the ma'n'pa dry cleaning shops went away? A real
close cousin to Trike is what was used for dry cleaning. You used to be
able to buy little cans in the grocery stores. Powerful stuff, but the
possible downsides are pretty extreme. Who knew?

--
aem sends...