Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ticking vent

Some of you may remember the saga of my stove that the home warranty
company bought. The stove is in and works fine now. But there is
something else that has become quite annoying related to it.

This stove is a downdraft stove with the vent in the middle of the
cooktop. A hose attaches underneath the stove to a blower fan that
sits underneath the stove and exhausts through the floor to an exhaust
vent on the side of the house. The outside vent is made of plastic and
has a damper that is constantly flapping when the blower is not on. It
sounds like a ticking time bomb inside the stove!

Obviously air is getting sucked out through the stove vent to the
outside, even when not running. If I replace that outside vent do you
think the same thing will happen again? What's the right way to stop
this air leak other than putting a cover over the stove vent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 4:54*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Some of you may remember the saga of my stove that the home warranty
company bought. *The stove is in and works fine now. *But there is
something else that has become quite annoying related to it.

This stove is a downdraft stove with the vent in the middle of the
cooktop. *A hose attaches underneath the stove to a blower fan that
sits underneath the stove and exhausts through the floor to an exhaust
vent on the side of the house. *The outside vent is made of plastic and
has a damper that is constantly flapping when the blower is not on. *It
sounds like a ticking time bomb inside the stove!

Obviously air is getting sucked out through the stove vent to the
outside, even when not running. *If I replace that outside vent do you
think the same thing will happen again? *What's the right way to stop
this air leak other than putting a cover over the stove vent?

I have a round vent that angles up and when air goes out it pushes a
cap up, then when off it falls back and seals air tight, its actualy a
dryer vent made of plastic, it should work but will need to be kept
degreased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:54:14 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Some of you may remember the saga of my stove that the home warranty
company bought. The stove is in and works fine now. But there is
something else that has become quite annoying related to it.

This stove is a downdraft stove with the vent in the middle of the
cooktop. A hose attaches underneath the stove to a blower fan that
sits underneath the stove and exhausts through the floor to an exhaust
vent on the side of the house. The outside vent is made of plastic and
has a damper that is constantly flapping when the blower is not on. It
sounds like a ticking time bomb inside the stove!

Obviously air is getting sucked out through the stove vent to the
outside, even when not running. If I replace that outside vent do you
think the same thing will happen again? What's the right way to stop
this air leak other than putting a cover over the stove vent?

My damper to the furnace exhaust flaps from time to time, but there is
a soft rubber cushion around the seal to dampen the sound. Trying
another vent assembly is a good idea--you can slip it into place and
wait a day to screw it in place or return it.

Still Ticking - Mod One George Woodturning 0 February 4th 06 11:58 PM
RCA VR678HF VCR ticking PS [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 7th 05 07:37 PM
ticking smps BigTom Electronics Repair 10 January 4th 05 05:01 AM
SMPS ticking BigTom Electronics Repair 1 December 29th 04 02:02 AM
New Sanyo TV Ticking [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 June 1st 04 08:25 PM