Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Run ice maker line in the cold air return in slab?

I need to run an ice maker line around 50 feet from the softener and
RO system. I'm on a slab so that presents a problem running the line
underneath. It gets -20F about once a year here so running the line
in the attic so it won't freeze will be tricky. All the roof beams
run across the direction i need to go so I guess I'd have to drill all
the beams and keep the tubing as near the "warm" ceiling as possible.
Plus the attic is very very low with the 3/12 pitch roof.

On the other hand the cold air return for my furnace makes a darn near
perfect line where I need to go. The cold air return is in the slab
and it is crude at best! The bottom of the return is just plastic
sheet on top of gravel. They somehow made a form on the base gravel
and poured the slab on top of it.

Provided I make a nice entry and exit into the return why shouldn't I
run 1/2" PEX tubing through it?

thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 7:36*pm, wrote:
[...]

As long as there is an airtight seal it should be ok. Anyone know if
this would be some sort of building code violation? If you know a
reputable home inspector, you might inquire of him/her.

Bob H
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:42:59 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Nov 28, 7:36 pm, wrote:
[...]

I would not contact any inspectors. If they say you can not do it,
then what? If they KNOW you are doing it, they can hassle you. What
they dont know is best......

Just do it and keep your mouth shut. Just be sure it's done properly
so it dont leak and cause a flood. It's definately not a hazardous
thing. The worse that could happen is it springs a leak and if the
water dont drain into the gravel, you may get some water on the floor,
and your insurance may not cover the damages.

You might check the refrigerator's operating manual for the advisability of
connecting the ice maker to an R/O. If I remember correctly from years of
selling refrigerators, most manufacturers didn't recommend it. Don't
remember why. I think it might have had something to do with the lack of
water pressure compared to a regular connection.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The fridge only requires a certain PSI for the ice maker. I "should"
be OK but will check.

I've started the run. I will have to open up one wall to get the
tubing through a stud that I can't reach otherwise but other that that
It's pretty straight forward... not counting replumbing the softener,
rebuilding the brine tank, and rewiring some stuff while I'm at it!

thx for the feedback.