Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on tack-board

Hey there,

I've been thinking about putting up a big floor-to-ceiling tack-board
to hang the kids artwork on. The other day, when swimming at the
YMCA, I saw a bunch of these big tack-boards that looked like they
would be perfect. Basically just a 4'x8' piece of board, sometimes
covered with fabric to make it look nicer. My question is - what is
the material and where can I get it? It didn't seem like just plain
cork - and when I searched the Lowes and Home Depot sites, I couldn't
find anything appropriate when searching for cork or tack board.

I could find large framed tack-boards for sale on-line, but I'm hoping
there's a relatively inexpensive ( $50) DIYsolution - and something
that I could easily get the materials for at the local lumber-yard or
big-box DIY store. Also, I don't want a framed product because I'd
need to trim the size anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

-J
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 9:18*am, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:00:34 -0800 (PST), JJ wrote:
[...]

Homosote, which is sold in 4x8 foot sheets *might be a possibility.
It's made from recycled newspapers.

Per Sa's comment Homosote is often used BUT the push pin holding
abilty is not great BTDT.
And will fail to hold pins over the longterm since Homosote is not
"self-healing".

The best is cork sheeting but it's nowhere near was cheap.

I made one using 3/8" cork sheet over 3/8" plywood..the cork is decent
looking & (IMO) needs no covering.
Thicker 1/2" is about 50% more $'s...1/4" is probably too thin.

McMaster 4x8 x3/8" is ~$90 ....shipping?

maybe you can find it cheaper locally

cheers
Bob