Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help finding replacement combustion motor for Payne furnace

Hi there! Hopefully you can point me in the right direction for
finding this part.

My parents have a Payne furnace that is a few years old. The
combustion motor has recently started to fail, as I am told by a
friend of mine who originally installed it. He called about the part
from his supplier, and found that it would be $130 or so to get the
part from him with all of the combustion motor assembly and related
parts.

The guy on the phone told him that he could probably find the part
online a lot cheaper, *AND* we don't need the whole kit...we only need
just the little motor itself. My friend is going to salvage all of
the other parts of the mechanism off the current, failing motor and we
can use them with the new one.

So, here's the info on the furnace and motor label I currently have:

furnace: Payne, model #768MAA024045AAJA, serial #3303A27185

combustion motor: Jakel J238-100-10108 3000RPM counter-clockwise
rotation 81F1A 8.1MHP

I just want the actual motor, no kit, no extra shrouds or widgets or
fins or whatnot.

Any leads? Any ideas? Anyone got one of these little bad-boys that
they'd like to part with? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I really do appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 05:40:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Don't count on it. It was impossible to remove the blower wheel from
the Jakel on my Tempstar. The problem with the furnace was the
combustion motor/fan was noisy. Ends up it wasn't the motor, the
squirrel cage fan was loose in the hub. I brazed it up and stuck it
back on 3 years ago.

The Jakel unit is not a servicable part - no parts available. Other
manufacturers make replacement units at about half the cost of the
Jaykel Fasco is one alternate supplier.

What is wrong with the current motor??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 2:52*pm, wrote:
[...]

I don't know what's wrong...my friend is a contractor and enlisted me
to scour the Internet to find a replacement. From my understanding of
what he told me, my parents' furnace has not been starting these last
few days. He indicated that he spun the wheel clockwise and then
tried it and it started spinning as it should...he said he heard some
sound like something rattling in the vent pipe and then it went out.
So, perhaps something got in the vent last summer and left a present
that gummed up the fan?

I found something from Jakel on eBay that looks similar enough to my
contractor friend that he wants me to get it. So, I guess that is my
next step, but in the mean time perhaps I can locate the correct
replacement part.

How will I figure out what Fasco part would be the replacement? Can I
tell just by the 3000 RPM / CCW part, or is there a cross-reference or
some other details needed? I imagine size is quite important as well.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Brazed it? What if you need to replace motor? Aren't you sticuk then?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Are you talking about inducer motor? What is trouble code? The code will
give a clue. Payne is made by Carrier. I think Carrier parts will fit
into Payne furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:45:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 16, 2:52Â*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 05:40:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Hi there! Â*Hopefully you can point me in the right direction for
finding this part.

My parents have a Payne furnace that is a few years old. Â*The
combustion motor has recently started to fail, as I am told by a
friend of mine who originally installed it. Â*He called about the part
from his supplier, and found that it would be $130 or so to get the
part from him with all of the combustion motor assembly and related
parts.

The guy on the phone told him that he could probably find the part
online a lot cheaper, *AND* we don't need the whole kit...we only need
just the little motor itself. Â*My friend is going to salvage all of
the other parts of the mechanism off the current, failing motor and we
can use them with the new one.

So, here's the info on the furnace and motor label I currently have:

furnace: Payne, model #768MAA024045AAJA, serial #3303A27185

combustion motor: Jakel J238-100-10108 Â*3000RPM Â*counter-clockwise
rotation Â*81F1A Â*8.1MHP

I just want the actual motor, no kit, no extra shrouds or widgets or
fins or whatnot.

Any leads? Â*Any ideas? Â*Anyone got one of these little bad-boys that
they'd like to part with? Â* Â*Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I really do appreciate it.

Â* Don't count on it. It was impossible to remove the blower wheel from
the Jakel on my Tempstar. The problem with the furnace was the
combustion motor/fan was noisy. Ends up it wasn't the motor, the
squirrel cage fan was loose in the hub. I brazed it up and stuck it
back on 3 years ago.

The Jakel unit is not a servicable part - no parts available. Other
manufacturers make replacement units at about half the cost of the
Jaykel Â* Fasco is one alternate supplier.

[...]

Contact fasco. Or a Fasco dealer. They will crossreference to the
furnace model or to the Jaykel number.
You WILL have to buy the complete unit, in all likelihood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:44:15 -0700, Tony Hwang

[...]

No more stuck than before, because the motor is NOT AVAILABLE
SEPARATELY and the fan would NOT COME OFF THE MOTOR. ANyway, I didn't
braze the hub to the shaft, I brazed the sguirrel cage to the hub - so
IF the fan could be removed from the motor, it would still be
removeable. I had the little beggar red hot and it would not come off
(set screw was removed) so I decided to fix the problem and get on
with life. There was rust dust coming out of the seam between the hub
and the squrrel cage, indicating it was loose and fretting, so brazing
it made sense.

No more noise for the last 3 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked to see if you can remove the fan? I just installed one and
the old fan was rusted to the motor shaft. I think that's why they sell them
as a unit.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired54" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

BTW: That is the same blower I had trouble with.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 2:52*pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I've emailed a Fasco dealer to see if they can
xref the part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 6:08*pm, "retired54" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I don't know... I'm just following orders to hunt down the part.

Thanks, everyone, for the all the ideas and such a speedy response!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Go to Grainger
http://www.grainger.com

They got motor parts for everything.
Or get a motor rebuiilder to fix it.

I don't think you can beat the price! They told me at the local Granger they
didn't carry Fasco. People around here are like that. They would just as
soon tell you they don't carry a part so they don't have to get it off the
shelf.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4MH26

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:22:22 GMT, "retired54" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There are about a hundred differenf inductor fans - and they are NOT
interchangeable (at least not easily/officially)

Need to get the right one - expect to pay about $185 for a Fasco (
the A177 for my furnace lists at that price)

See
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...ft_inducer.htm

Bottom of the page is a Payne unit - not your numbers though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:22:22 GMT, "retired54" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Of course...that just happens to be the one I need.

It is a Fasco. I was quoted $218 from a local dealer.

Olddog