Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Cabinets, No Studs

I am trying to hang some kitchen cabinets, but it seems the studs to not go
floor to ceiling. At the top of the cabinets the studs disappear! I have
over 30" where there are absolutely no studs to screw into. I found the
studs for the bottom of the wall cabinets, so the problem is at the top and
I have no ledge at the top of the wall to screw into either. I have a 24"
corner cabinet that I can't put any screws into studs. I have the cabinet
on the right with 2 screws into studs at the top and screwed into the
corner cabinet. To the left is the problem. An 24" cabinet is going in
there and there is no stud to screw into until a few inches from the left
hand side of that cabinet. There are no studs from the left end of the
cabinet all the way across to the inside of the corner cabinet. What would
be the best way to attach this securely short of building a stub wall above
the cabinets?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 4:17*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
[...]

Did you open the wall and look, lath or drywall is somehow attached or
it would be loose and crack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
[...]

You can use 1/8" x 3" toggles if you have to do so. Each toggle when used
with securely attached drywall will hold about 50 pounds.

But what is holding up the drywall?

Also be sure to secure all the wall cabinets to each other by drilling
sideways through the styles at least 2 screws for each 30" high cabinet

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

If I had a wall framed that flakey, and the kitchen was gutted anyway,
I'd probably go ahead and open the wall up and find out what the hell
was going on.( No way would I trust toggles through rock to hold a
kitchen upper- a full load of canned goods and a climbing kid grabbing a
door to hang on, and that sucker is coming down.) And while it was open,
I'd add rows of blocking between the existing or newly added studs
before I re-rocked. I HATE playing hide'n'seek with studs while I am
balancing an upper cabinet with the other hand, trying to keep it from
falling off the temporary cleat defining the straight bottom line.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
[...]

Securing the bottom of the cabinet to the existing studs and wall anchors at
the top to prevent tipping would work. The cabinet load will be handled
entirely by the bottom anchors.

This scheme will NOT work if somebody puts excessive downward force on the
doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It sounds as though you have an old house that has been through some
changes. I'm thinking that the European method might be best in this
situation. Rip a piece of 3/4" x 12" plywood down the middle at a 45 degree
angle. Attach one strip to your wall and cut the other strip into smaller
pieces to mount on each cabinet. Then you just hang each cabinet and screw
where you can. Keep in mind that this method will push the cabinets out
away from the wall a little if you have an end exposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

It's called the French Cleat method.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:

[...]

If it was my kitchen, I'd want to know what's in that wall. It would be
no big deal to slap in a coupla cripple studs and replace a section of
drywall that was covered by cabinets - I'd think it less trouble than a
workaround.

'Course if you want a quick and dirty fix, there's always that
jumbo-size of Liquid Nails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 8:32*pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
Michael Dobony wrote:

[...]

jumbo-size of Liquid Nails.- Hide quoted text -

I agrre it pretty easy to pull out the existing drywall and see whats
going on especially when its all going to be hidden by the cabinets
anyway.

Jimmie