Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Thermostat

Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Newbie" wrote in message
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Honeywell programmable for about $45 to $65.

I'd also buy a White Rogers and I'd avoid Lux or other cheap brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Newbie" wrote in message
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Than

I'm a big fan of White Rogers. IMO they're very durable,less complicated
then Honeywell, and considerably cheaper. Honeywell is my second choice,
then Robertshaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ours is made by Carrier.

It is a automatic one which we bought 3 years ago.

We are very pleased with it.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:00:29 -0600, Newbie wrote:

Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Check Consumer Reports. I have a programmable Honeywell. I prefer
the type that can be set different for each day of the week.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 14, 9:17*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Hi,
Honeywell Vision Pro series.

Yes, I second that. One feature I like is they have adaptive
recovery. When you have the temp lowered overnight, and you want it
to be 70 again at say 7AM, you just set it for that. Over a few
days, the thermostat learns at what earlier time it needs to actually
raise the temp so it reaches 70 at 7AM. It also has vacation hold,
which will keep a hold on a temp for X number of days. Also has many
other programable options, compatibility with many type systems, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , Boden wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

I can't comment on the other brands, but I have three LUX programable
units that have failed this season. The failure mechanism is a design
error/cost reduction choice, so I'd expect that they all will fail in time.

I'm following this thread closely since I now need three new (reliable)
thermostats.

Boden

I have used Hunter, White-Rodgers, and LUX. They all worked without problem, but the
old Hunter (I think thats the name) was a chore to program, but did give most options
like recording on time and filter change. The White-Rodgers does give many options, and
does not give a broad range of temperature differentials. I don't know if its smart like
some of the Honneywells with Fuzzy logic. My main problem, none of the ones
I have had has a light that STAYS ON. What a pain.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , Boden wrote:
Newbie wrote:
[...]

One feature the old Hunter had was it ran off the furnace power and had
battery BACKUP. But, I found I still had to change the battery
often, so that feature is not required. I find the White_Rodgers runs a
LONG time with the batteries driving a relay output. Amazing. Units
that don't have a relay are more likely to get zapped by power line
and furnace voltage noise.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 14, 12:00*am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , ransley wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:00=A0am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

I must have about 6 I took out. The main thing I see is they have a wide temperature
control span. I don't see any of the electronic types have a fail safe in case they fail
to turn off the furnace.

grge
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

GregS wrote:
In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , Boden wrote:
Newbie wrote:
[...]

Not really, unless hit by a direct lightning strike or such protection
is built into the circuitry. I use Vision Pro 8000 series every where
and a wireless one as well. Batteries last ~2 years and it comes in
several models to take care of diffrent system. Like 1 heat/1 cool or
multi stage heat/cool systems. Better pick a proper model for the system
you have. Lux and Hunter is garbage. Just open up and look at the build
quality. Most relays now is S.S. type. Having a display stay on is an
option too. Then batteries won't last long.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

ransley wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:00 am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

Hi,
They are analog and can't match the precision of digital based on ASIC
and microprocessor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 14, 9:41*am, (GregS) wrote:
In article , ransley wrote:

On Nov 14, 12:00=A0am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

I must have about 6 I took out. The main thing I see is they have a wide temperature
control span. I don't see any of the electronic types have a fail safe in case they fail
to turn off the furnace.

grge

I use one of those on my garage heater because it is the only
thermostat that can be set to 40F on the market (thats affordable).

True, nothing is more reliable, but for inside the house I really am
liking the setback features of a digital.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

GregS wrote:
In article , ransley wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:00=A0am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

I must have about 6 I took out. The main thing I see is they have a wide temperature
control span. I don't see any of the electronic types have a fail safe in case they fail
to turn off the furnace.

grge

Hi,
Fail safe? It's built inside the furnace. Thermostat does not need that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Boden wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

I can't comment on the other brands, but I have three LUX programable
units that have failed this season. The failure mechanism is a design
error/cost reduction choice, so I'd expect that they all will fail in time.

I'm following this thread closely since I now need three new (reliable)
thermostats.

Boden

Hi,
Spend some money and get Vision Pro 8000 touch screen model. In some
cases it may be over kill but simple and easy arm chair programming and
it will handle any system(gas, electric, heat pump, multi stage). My
house, cabin, condo and friends, relatives use them per my
recommendation. So far none failed. Every one is happy with it.
Just pick the right model(there are 3) for your needs.
As a Honeywell retiree I may be biased, LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 14, 10:00*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:00 am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

Hi,
They are analog and can't match the precision of digital based on ASIC
and microprocessor.

Precision, accuracy yes, but on comfort im comfortable, I adjusted the
anticipator. He did ask for reliable-cheap, there is good reason
Honywell still makes and sells them. When lightning hit us the digital
was fried and the round honywell survived, and battery replacing can
be put off unitl it dies as I just did. My Lux I wouldnt trust as its
failed to shut off once, a remote Honeywell would be real nice. I
wonder if they have one you could call on the phone for remote
changing of temp. What happens on a battery digital unit if the
battery fails while its calling for heat, that worries me.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 14, 12:00*am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Since i own a bit of Honeywell stock I think that's what you should
buy. Of course, they already have a fine reputation for dependability
if that's important to you, G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , RickH wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:41=A0am, (GregS) wrote:
In article =

..com, ransley wrote:

On Nov 14, 12:00=3DA0am, Newbie wrote:
Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

Most reliable, best value, the old round Honywell, but not If you need
set backs and all the features.

I must have about 6 I took out. The main thing I see is they have a wide =

temperature
control span. I don't see any of the electronic types have a fail safe in=

case they fail
to turn off the furnace.

grge

I use one of those on my garage heater because it is the only
thermostat that can be set to 40F on the market (thats affordable).

True, nothing is more reliable, but for inside the house I really am
liking the setback features of a digital.

I think you can also fiddle with them to get a different setting, like mount it
off angle.

I have used the programmables, and its great when needed. Right now, my smaller house
heats up much faster than the old. For the most part having the automatic
function is not necessary, and I just set it when I come or go.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:
GregS wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article , Boden

wrote:
Newbie wrote:
[...]

I am pretty sure my White-Rodgers has a relay as I can hear it
plainly, and it lasts well over a year with summer cooling. A relay
provides isolation and a ground loop withing a system. A SS can also
be used isolated if its wired like that and does not run the thermostat
on the AC 24 volt line.

They took my LUX off when I had a new system installed and they used
the White-Rodgers. I was going to reinstall the LUX but I never did.
I never learned to program it, but the .5 degree differential is
the standard setting, but you can set it to 1 degree. Some go up to 2-3 degrees.
The more the furnace turns off and on, the less efficient it becomes to a certain extent.
They tried to make off with my LUX, but I got it back!

I seem to now recall the old Hunter did have a fail safe. Some kind of extra mechanical
fuse or thermostat to prevent the house trying to go up over 100 degrees. The furnace has
an internal temperature shutoff on the heat exchanger, but I don't know, the newer
types may also have another sensor on the air flow temperature. I think my
furnace may have an air flow meter to help control fan speed. A fail safe cannot be
part of the circuitry controlling the temperature. It goes in series with it
to become a totally different fuse or system.

I guess I have a certain affiliation with Honeywell, as I used to work for a Bendix
outfit that eventually got hooked up with Honneywell.

I work with a number of non time programmable conrollers. They are just programmable
for real time and don't care anything about time, except for time to heat to temperature.
This is the PIR functions to control heat and overshoot. They often have a AUTO mode
where the PIR functions are automatically entered by the processor after initial parameters
are inserted. Some controllers also have fuzzy logic to become smart, and can modify settings
to improve performance.

Having a thermostat heat to BE a temperature at a certain time
can have benifits, but you have to really be aware how the thermostat works
so you can compensate for the way your mind has been working in using thermostats
that don't have this feature. The old house used to take up to an hour to heat to
temperature, I understood this. A smart thermostat can figure that out by itself
once it gets going, and remember.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

ransley wrote:
[...]

When baterries getting low it gives more than a month's warning.
Default setting is imbedded in the non-volatile memory.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , Newbie
wrote:

Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

I replaced mine with some crumbled Gorgonzola, and have been satisfied.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

You need the authentic Italian made stuff. The modern made in China just
doesn't do it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article , Newbie
wrote:

Our thermostat for the heating/ac unit needs replacing. Which kind
provides most reliable service and best value in your opinion? Thanx.

I replaced mine with some crumbled Gorgonzola, and have been satisfied.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

ransley wrote:
[...]

Default setting is imbedded in the non-volatile memory.- Hide quoted text -

Nothing to be worried about if the battery fails while the furnace is
running. Without power the thermostat is off. If you pulled the
battery while the thermostat was closed and calling for heat, the
circuit goes open and the furnace will shut off.

The other problem, which is loss of battery when freezing could occur
is a problem. But many of the digital thermostats have a backup
mechanical switch that will close at around 40 deg.

With millions of these in use for decades now, they apparently are
reliable and safe or you'd hear about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

: I'd avoid Lux or other cheap brands.

Interesting to hear this sentiment expressed quite often in this thread
as Consumer Reports had two Lux models as Best Buys.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Newbie" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

: I'd avoid Lux or other cheap brands.

Interesting to hear this sentiment expressed quite often in this thread
as Consumer Reports had two Lux models as Best Buys.

Thank you for affirming my reasons to no longer buy CR.

Frankly, if it works and cost less, it would be a best buy. Too many people
have had too many problems with Lux over the years to take a chance, IMO.

which thermostat? [email protected] UK diy 9 October 16th 06 04:30 PM
New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
HD thermostat Martin Home Repair 1 September 27th 05 03:52 PM
Help with thermostat !! AK UK diy 9 March 26th 04 04:17 PM
Which thermostat to buy Phisherman Home Repair 4 December 8th 03 07:46 AM