Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Brand New Cub Cadet -- Lasted For One Minute

GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. Now won't start at
all, or even grind. Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 12:57*pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. *Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. *Now won't start at
all, or even grind. *Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. *I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.

"Just a clicking noise" sounds like a dead battery. It may have been
weak and had only 1 start left. 1 minute at half throttle might not
have been long enough to charge it up. Have you tried jumping it?

I know that doesn't explain the stalling, but if you could get it
started again with a jump, you'd be that much closer to seeing if
there was real problem with the machine.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:21:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:57=A0pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. =A0Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. =A0Now won't start at
all, or even grind. =A0Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. =A0I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.

"Just a clicking noise" sounds like a dead battery. It may have been
weak and had only 1 start left. 1 minute at half throttle might not
have been long enough to charge it up. Have you tried jumping it?

I know that doesn't explain the stalling, but if you could get it
started again with a jump, you'd be that much closer to seeing if
there was real problem with the machine.

That's good advice and I do have jumpers as well as a charger and
would follow that advice for an older unit, but I expect a brand new
machine to have a battery that works. Unit to be picked up by
retailer tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jack wrote:

That's good advice and I do have jumpers as well as a charger and
would follow that advice for an older unit, but I expect a brand new
machine to have a battery that works. Unit to be picked up by
retailer tomorrow. Thanks.

I'd have expected a retailer to have checked if it was delivered, etc.,
but it's certainly not unheard of for a new battery to have infant
mortality syndrome nor, possibly, if the unit had been in stock a while
just hadn't been charged fully.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

retailer tomorrow. *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Picked up or looked at? Are they sending a tech to see if it can be
fixed on-site or are they just going to take it away and work on it
elsewhere?

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 11:57*am, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. *Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. *Now won't start at
all, or even grind. *Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. *I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.

Just try charging the battery and see, if all is well just get a
replacement battery since low charge sulfates them, why waste the time
on a return with another weak battery. 13.8v is what you should charge
it to.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:38:30 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Oct 31, 11:57=A0am, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. =A0Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. =A0Now won't start at
all, or even grind. =A0Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. =A0I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.

Just try charging the battery and see, if all is well just get a
replacement battery since low charge sulfates them, why waste the time
on a return with another weak battery. 13.8v is what you should charge
it to.

If it's another weak battery -- assuming that the problem is a battery
-- then they'll have to pick it up again until they make it right.

Goddamnit, this is literally a brand new machine, delivered yesterday,
and for $4,300 I want it to function like a brand new machine. I
don't want to have to do troubleshooting on something brand new.

Fortunately, mowing season is over so there's no need to rush.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:57=3DA0pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
GT 2550

Started right up and ran at half-throttle for a minute per instruction
manual. =3DA0Moved to 3/4 throttle and it stalled. =3DA0Now won't star=

t at
all, or even grind. =3DA0Just a clicking noise.

Man, this has got to be a world record. =3DA0I'll call Guinness and
Ripley.

"Just a clicking noise" sounds like a dead battery. It may have been
weak and had only 1 start left. 1 minute at half throttle might not
have been long enough to charge it up. Have you tried jumping it?

I know that doesn't explain the stalling, but if you could get it
started again with a jump, you'd be that much closer to seeing if
there was real problem with the machine.

That's good advice and I do have jumpers as well as a charger and
would follow that advice for an older unit, but I expect a brand new
machine to have a battery that works. =A0Unit to be picked up by
retailer tomorrow. =A0Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Picked up or looked at? Are they sending a tech to see if it can be
fixed on-site or are they just going to take it away and work on it
elsewhere?

No, the pick-up guy isn't a tech. At their expense, they're picking
it up and going back to shop to fix what ails it, whether it be the
battery, starter, or whatever.
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

No advice requested; no further posts needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jack" Windswept@Home wrote in message
Unit to be picked up by
retailer tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

End of story, then?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jack" wrote in message

At their expense, they're picking
it up and going back to shop to fix what ails it, whether it be the
battery, starter, or whatever.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jack wrote:
and for $4,300 I want it to function like a brand new machine. I
don't want to have to do troubleshooting on something brand new.

Fortunately, mowing season is over so there's no need to rush.

So, by next spring the battery will be discharged anyway...

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

Jack wrote:
and for $4,300 I want it to function like a brand new machine. I
don't want to have to do troubleshooting on something brand new.

Fortunately, mowing season is over so there's no need to rush.

So, by next spring the battery will be discharged anyway...

Not necessarily. With a good full charge before putting it to sleep,
maybe, maybe not.

If so, I'll charge it then

The point is that when you buy something brand new, you'd like it
delivered in tip-top shape and working. They may find that it's
soemthing more serious than the battery, liek a defective starter that
crapped-out.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You DID put oil in the crankcase before starting it, I hope. The
engines are shipped DRAINED.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The cranky case has erl, right up to the "full" mark on the dipstick.

Don't be insulted, someone had to ask about the oil.
I've worked on a lot of air cooled generators that had
engines like those in a garden tractor and the engines
were equipped with a low oil pressure cut off. The engine
would crank and run for a short time then shut off if
the oil pressure was low or in a number of cases, the
oil pressure switch was defective, the engine would not
run. You write that all your new machine will do is click.
I wonder, with all of the safety switches being installed
on new equipment, is it possible that there is a lockout
switch on the brake, clutch, gearshift, seat, cowl or
accessory drive? I've only repaired one Cub Cadet and
it was a 1967 model belonging to a customer who bought
an automatic standby generator from us. That old tractor
was very simple and had none of all those new fangled
safety devices.

TDD
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You expect a new car to have "dealer prep."

I expect the same thing with a new tractor.

Yeah, my old Cub was a 1987 that I left with the dealer when
purchasing this new one.

Shoulda kept it instead.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Shoulda kept it instead.- Hide quoted text -

Is there a fuel shutoff on it.

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

thought of loose elect connection?

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

most new mowers come with NO OIL. Major damage did you fill it up
BEFORE STARTING?
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:19:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

most new mowers come with NO OIL. Major damage did you fill it up
BEFORE STARTING?

No.

Dipstick is right up to the full mark with clean-looking oil.

Been using Cub Cadet garden tractors for 30 years.

Never used any other tractor.

They were always set-up and prepped by the dealer.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

most new mowers come with NO OIL. Major damage did you fill it up
BEFORE STARTING?

No.

Dipstick is right up to the full mark with clean-looking oil.

Been using Cub Cadet garden tractors for 30 years.

Never used any other tractor.

They were always set-up and prepped by the dealer.

You have to post what happened after the dealer
repairs your tractor. I would love to know what
the problem is. I'm used to working on equipment
that I've never seen before and knowing when to
call the factory rep or tech support is a skill
everyone needs to develop. If you understand the
principles of how things work, you have a better
chance of repairing something. I really wish the
education system here in The US would spend as
much money on the sciences as it does football.

TDD

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

most new mowers come with NO OIL. Major damage did you fill it up
BEFORE STARTING?

No.

Dipstick is right up to the full mark with clean-looking oil.

Been using Cub Cadet garden tractors for 30 years.

Never used any other tractor.

They were always set-up and prepped by the dealer.

You have to post what happened after the dealer
repairs your tractor. I would love to know what
the problem is. I'm used to working on equipment
that I've never seen before and knowing when to
call the factory rep or tech support is a skill
everyone needs to develop. If you understand the
principles of how things work, you have a better
chance of repairing something. I really wish the
education system here in The US would spend as
much money on the sciences as it does football.

OK, the guy who picked it up diagnosed a "bad battery cell."

He said that charging would not improve the situation. He took the
unit away to replace the battery and to have the techs examine the
entire charging system.

I agree with you 1000%. I am totally clueless when it comes to
mechanical knowledge, having gone to a Catholic elementary and high
school that provided no type of training in skilled blue collar
disciplines. Ditto college.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can get a new battery with a bad cell, anything
can break. Quality control is much better than it
used to be and even if a product passes a factory
test, something can always break in transit or to
some odd anomaly in the material composing it.

I always explain to people that I have no fear of
terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns
for teachers. I do have an inexplicable fear of
albino penguins for some reason. We did have science
classes in school back in the 50's and 60's. It
doesn't have to be at the same level as MIT graduate
school but teaching kids simple concepts of how
the world around them functions is priceless. Children
are desperate for information and can readily soak it
up. I was lucky in a way to escape the Catholic parochial
gulag in the fourth grade and wind up in the government
run schools but the quality of education was lacking.
At least the flogging and dismemberment stopped.

TDD

Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Elementary school days were in the 50s and, in the 8th grade at least,
included a gen. science course but the concepts of which you
contemplate were missing, unless I was asleep.

But boy oh boy, they drilled the hell out of us in the art of
diagramming sentences.
Posted to balt.general,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jack wrote:

[...]

Yea, the nuns wanted you to have the ability to clearly
communicate your anguish.

TDD