Posted to alt.home.repair

Default goggle and mask that doesn't fog up and get hot?

I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes
the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel like I'm
running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with valves and
without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a few minutes.
Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated, i.e. a
battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and moisture
build-up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message ...
Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated, i.e. a
battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and moisture build-up?

If you have plenty of money, you could try this one:

https://allprotools.com/Trend-AIRSHI...k-p-17796.html

I've used something similar in respiratory isolation rooms and will tell you it
feels like you're being air conditioned. It's great for avoiding that closed
in, can't get your breath feeling. It's just expensive.

There are several others on the market. They all seem to run in the $200+
range.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few
minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel
like I'm running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with
valves and without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a
few minutes. Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated,
i.e. a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and
moisture build-up?

My wife gave me one of these a few years ago and I use it all the time.
It's great.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepa...eamsystem.aspx

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few
minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel
like I'm running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with
valves and without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a
few minutes. Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated,
i.e. a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and
moisture build-up?

A supplied-air respirator? Probably be cheaper to hire the work out.
Goggles/mask that suck in local air would just slam the dust you are
trying to avoid, right into your eyes, or the filter would clog up in
minutes.

Have you tried ventilating the crawlspace while you work? Something
similar to what Ma Bell uses for confined-space work in underground
vaults- a big portable fan and/or air scrubber with collapsible ducts
you run down into the work area? I imagine a rental place that caters
to industry rather than DIY would have them. I only have trouble with
goggles fogging up where there is no air circulation and/or high
humidity. (Like working under a car in summer, when it is muggy and
hot.) Of course, I also wear glasses, so that is an extra 2 surfaces
over each eye to fog up.

If an expensive rental is a little off-putting, try the poor man
solution- a box fan and some plastic on the access cubby, sucking OUT,
and some sort of air hole at the far end, for 24 hours or so. If you
don't have plastic over the dirt, sounds like you need it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message ...
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes
the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel like I'm
running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with valves and
without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a few minutes.
Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated, i.e.
a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and moisture
build-up?

All of the ventilated solutions are going to cost you hundreds of dollars.
The ones that I know of are in the $200 range and are used for woodworking
and woodcarving. It sounds to me that for a couple hours work you might as
well hire a contractor or handyman outfit. That is, unless you would have
an ongoing need for a unit like this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:

... I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes the goggle
starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel like I'm running out
of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with valves and without) but
they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a few minutes...

Perhaps the warm moist air you breath out is condensing on the inside surface
of the goggles. You might do better with a combined mask that doesn't allow
your outgoing breath to touch the inside of the goggles or separate goggles
and breathing filter. The goggles might have a filtered opening to allow
water vapor from your skin to escape, or they might be part of the incoming
airpath. Outgoing air might bypass the filter to avoid condensation there.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message ...
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes
the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel like I'm
running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with valves and
without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a few minutes.
Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated, i.e.
a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and moisture
build-up?

I bought an inexpensive one at Garrett-Wade a few years ago. Had to return
it because it was incompatible with hearing protection, but that doesn't
seem to be a problem for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Boden
wrote:

james wrote:
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few
minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel
like I'm running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with
valves and without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a
few minutes. Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated,
i.e. a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and
moisture build-up?

My wife gave me one of these a few years ago and I use it all the time.
It's great.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepa...eamsystem.aspx

Boden

Holy crap. That is a great concept, and an obscene price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , Boden
wrote:

james wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem. Especially up in the attic in the Miami hot and
humid summers. Saw dust and filberglass insulation or cutting
plasterboards.

I cannot tell from the picture of the link above how the seal is
established. I need something to help with the dust and cooling off as
well. Because I am nearsighted I wear glasses this makes goggles very
inconvenient. I don't know how many times I am operating a grinder or
recipricating saw with gloves on and I was sweating like crazy which causes
my glasses to fog up and slip down my nose, and I have a goggle, dust mask,
baseball cap on top of that.

I would pay for some gadget that would make my life easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Boden
wrote:

james wrote:

I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few
minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel
like I'm running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with
valves and without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a
few minutes. Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated,
i.e. a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and
moisture build-up?

My wife gave me one of these a few years ago and I use it all the time.
It's great.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepa...eamsystem.aspx

Boden

Holy crap. That is a great concept, and an obscene price.

I agree. A few years ago, before 3M bought Racal the price was about $250.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , Boden
wrote:

james wrote:
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few
minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel
like I'm running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with
valves and without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a
few minutes. Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated,
i.e. a battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and
moisture build-up?

My wife gave me one of these a few years ago and I use it all the time.
It's great.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepa...eamsystem.aspx

Boden

Holy crap. That is a great concept, and an obscene price.

And that is the civilian version. Military version is probably the same
thing at 10 times the pricesigh

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 7:06*pm, "james" wrote:
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc).

Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes
the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet and I feel like I'm
running out of air. I tried different types of dust masks (with valves and
without) but they all gets hot and are hard to breath after a few minutes..
Inevitably, I had to remove the goggle and dust mask.

Is there an combination goggle/dust mask that is actively ventilated, i.e.. a
battery powered fan that draws air, to prevent fogging and moisture
build-up?

Its common for commercial interior paint spraying, call sherwin
williams or Harbor freight for cheap stuff, maybe a commercial paint
spray rental will rent equipment, a cheap swimmers goggle works,
maybe respirator filters are clogged.

Dust-bee-gone mask Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 19 September 30th 08 03:35 PM
Do you wear a mask? totobobo Woodturning 10 February 16th 08 06:16 PM
What paint mask? Nospam Home Ownership 4 February 14th 06 11:28 PM
Gas Mask up against THC Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 May 27th 05 03:43 AM
Best Face Mask? Keith Young Woodturning 7 January 21st 05 02:59 PM