Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Long crack in basement concrete floor

I have a wall-to-wall crack in my basement concrete floor. The crack
is fairly uniform in width, about 1/8" or less, and travels in a
somewhat random path. I've already cleaned the crack and surrounding
area with household ammonia and water, and plan to clean it again with
vinegar. After it completely dries, I plan to fill the crack with
gray concrete caulk. Is this the best way to seal a concrete floor
crack?

This area will be used as a full bath/laundry room and no floor
covering will be installed. Two radon tests were performed, with
results less than 1/10 below allowable levels, so I'm doing this for
appearance and any possible spills. TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 8:42�am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a wall-to-wall crack in my basement concrete floor. �The crack
is fairly uniform in width, about 1/8" or less, and travels in a
somewhat random path. � I've already cleaned the crack and surrounding
area with household ammonia and water, and plan to clean it again with
vinegar. �After it completely dries, I plan to fill the crack with
gray concrete caulk. � Is this the best way to seal a concrete floor
crack? �

This area will be used as a full bath/laundry room and no floor
covering will be installed. �Two radon tests were performed, with
results less than 1/10 below allowable levels, so I'm doing this for
appearance and any possible spills. � TIA

does this area have water entering from below?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:05:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 23, 8:42?am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a wall-to-wall crack in my basement concrete floor. ?The crack
is fairly uniform in width, about 1/8" or less, and travels in a
somewhat random path. ? I've already cleaned the crack and surrounding
area with household ammonia and water, and plan to clean it again with
vinegar. ?After it completely dries, I plan to fill the crack with
gray concrete caulk. ? Is this the best way to seal a concrete floor
crack? ?

This area will be used as a full bath/laundry room and no floor
covering will be installed. ?Two radon tests were performed, with
results less than 1/10 below allowable levels, so I'm doing this for
appearance and any possible spills. ? TIA

does this area have water entering from below?

No. I am fortunate not to have a basement moisture condition. The
house is 18 years old and build on the side of a hill with fast
drainage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since concrete, I would try then some of that self leveling concrete
sealer.....would make for a smooth finish at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 4:57*pm, avid_hiker wrote:
Since concrete, I would try then some of that self leveling concrete
sealer.....would make for a smooth finish at least.

This sounds similar to a swimming pool I patched. I filled the crack
with hydraulic cement.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sealing the crack with concrete caulk sound fine to me. I would have
skipped the ammonia and vinegar, as I don't see what that brings to
the party. Some cracking in concrete is bound to happen.