Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help, looking for a whatchamacallit

Hi I am looking for some fireproof(well, heat resistant) insulation
for some electrical wires that run next to an exhaust on a snowmobile.
I have seen them before but i cannot recall where i could find them.
they look like a braided fiberglass tube similar to a chinese finger
trap. anyone have some sources?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:
Hi I am looking for some fireproof(well, heat resistant) insulation
for some electrical wires that run next to an exhaust on a snowmobile.
I have seen them before but i cannot recall where i could find them.
they look like a braided fiberglass tube similar to a chinese finger
trap. anyone have some sources?

Check with your local electric motor rewinding shop.
I've actually had them give me short pieces of the
stuff. I'm sure they would sell it to you by the foot.
The shop will even have silicone/fiberglass insulated
high temperature wire. It similar to what you would
find attached to an oxygen sensor on a gasoline engine.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:10:55 -0700 (PDT), Tater
wrote:

Hi I am looking for some fireproof(well, heat resistant) insulation
for some electrical wires that run next to an exhaust on a snowmobile.
I have seen them before but i cannot recall where i could find them.
they look like a braided fiberglass tube similar to a chinese finger
trap. anyone have some sources?

www.mcmaster.com

Search for sleeve insulation, pick high temperature. They have
ceramic fiber and fiberglass in different sizes.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tater wrote:
Hi I am looking for some fireproof(well, heat resistant) insulation
for some electrical wires that run next to an exhaust on a snowmobile.
I have seen them before but i cannot recall where i could find them.
they look like a braided fiberglass tube similar to a chinese finger
trap. anyone have some sources?

Check with your local electric motor rewinding shop.
I've actually had them give me short pieces of the
stuff. I'm sure they would sell it to you by the foot.
The shop will even have silicone/fiberglass insulated
high temperature wire. It similar to what you would
find attached to an oxygen sensor on a gasoline engine.

TDD

does this help?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

that's what I'm using on the vacuum advance hose and the choke +12V wire
where they pass over the exhaust crossover of my intake on the Stude.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tater wrote:
[...]

Hey, that's cool stuff. *snicker*
What they have at the motor rewind shop is
white fiberglass and silicone. I've used it
when repairing commercial electric ovens and
other restaurant equipment. The link you gave
looks like a sleeve that could handle higher
temperatures than the type I use.

TDD