Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Clothes Dryer Ignition ?

Hello,

Might anyone be able to tell me if an older (probably more than 10 yrs)
Kenmore gas Clothes Dryer "Soft Heat." has electronic ignition or an always
on pilot ?

Tried via Google, but no luck.

The model No. is 87573800.

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Might anyone be able to tell me if an older (probably more than 10 yrs)
Kenmore gas Clothes Dryer "Soft Heat." has electronic ignition or an always
on pilot ?

Tried via Google, but no luck.

The model No. is 87573800.

Thanks,
B.

I'd try this experiment.
Turn off the gas.
Wait.
Turn on the gas.
Turn on the dryer.
If it ignites, it's electronic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

Might anyone be able to tell me if an older (probably more than 10 yrs)
Kenmore gas Clothes Dryer "Soft Heat." has electronic ignition or an always
on pilot ?

Tried via Google, but no luck.

The model No. is 87573800.

Thanks,
B.

Yes, *you* would. Look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Might anyone be able to tell me if an older (probably more than 10 yrs)
Kenmore gas Clothes Dryer "Soft Heat." has electronic ignition or an
always on pilot ?

Tried via Google, but no luck.

The model No. is 87573800.

Thanks,
B.

Sold them from '86 til '02 and they were all electronic ignition. They use
a glow coil that comes on when you push start, heats the thermocouple and
then ignites the gas that is released. That's why they may take up to a
minute to ignite after the start button is pushed. There should be a little
peep hole behind a cover near the bottom front that you can look into to see
if the ignitor is glowing and also to check on the gas/air mixture (color of
flame). If you don't see the ignitor glow, it doesn't necessarily mean it's
bad. There is a high heat limitor fuse under the back panel that commonly
burns out if the exhaust flow is limited and the dryer overheats. If it
goes, the dryer won't ignite but the drum will tumble.
Tom G.