Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Elite dryer won't start

We have a 5 year old Kenmore Elite electric clothes dryer. It has
worked flawlessly until last night. When I push the start button it
runs fine, until I let go of the button. As soon as I let go of the
button the dryer stops. I unplugged and plugged back in the power and
it worked fine until the next load. This time unplugging and plugging
back in did not help. Pushing the button several times finally got it
to work. The dryer worked fine the day before and was not hot the
first time it wouldn't start. Any idea what I'm looking at??

I read an older article online about these dryers having a bad
computer board costing over $100. Anyone else hear of this? This
discussion also had some peoiple saying there was a Sears Service
flash that would cover out of warranty work (and some people got it)
others claimed Sears denied any such service flash. Is there a way to
find Sears service flashes online? Anyone know the best way to
approach Sears on this (in trying to get them to cover it)?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:49:14 -0700, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

[...]

I just wanted to chime in here since you mentioned the Sears Kenmore
Elite Dryer. We have one.

We fell into the trap of wanting to buy a good washer dryer set for our
first home together. We bought this set 2 years ago. I had a leak in the
washer and upon disassembly I found the cheapest hoses possible used to
handle the water.

The hoses remind me exactly of the stuff they use to route electrical
lines with. Stiff plastic ribbed. Guarenteed to leak in a year.

I guess I wanted to mention the poor quality design on these because they
are suppose to be the "Elite" washer /dryer set from kenmore.

Although you are having problems with the dryer I bet if your somewhat
handy on soldering you could fix it by putting on a new switch on the
board instead. Just sounds like the "Elite" switch wasnt so elite.

Sorry to hear about your problem,

coffee
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah that probably would, no idea why I didn't put that in the
original post. It's 110.63952102.

Again, the dryer wouldn't start until I unplugged it and plugged it
back in. It then ran for 20 minutes no problem (heat/tumble both
working fine). I then checked it after the 20 minutes to ensure it
was making heat (openned the door, which of course stopped the
cycle). Then I couldn't get it going again. I unpluged/plugged it a
couple times no dice. The pushed the button a few times holding it
down. I finally got it going and let it finish. Now today, it seems
to be fine. So something is flaking out and is ready to go.....