Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken spacer on Maytag Neptune washing machine

I'm replacing the bearings on my Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW washing machine,
and wow, the whole rear bearing busted open and spilled its balls. It cut
into the spacer, so now the spacer has a sawtooth edge.

Normally, I'm supposed to re-use the spacer, which now looks like this:
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/...ytagspacer.jpg

Where can I find one of these on a Saturday? I am in Southern California.
Can I make a new one from a piece of pipe? I was hoping to finish this on
Saturday and I am afraid the washing machine will be in little pieces for
several days and clothes will pile up while I try to locate this part. Any
tips how I can replace this spacer quick?

By the way I am using the Tony Tool bearing kit which is very nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After some more research I learned the spacer is not sold by Maytag as a
spare part, because they consider it a part of the whole basket assembly
along with the bearings. Does anyone know the exact length of the spacer so
I can make my own out of PVC?

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffh had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ne-335860-.htm
:
I would not use PVC... This is a job for steel! See www.neptunebearing.com
and click on the contact page, click on the email link and ask if they
have any more Neptune spacers in stock. I believe they run $8.95 and they
ship Priority Mail for $4.75 for a total of $13.70.

While you are there ask about the tony tool rental availability to help
you change your Neptune bearings without pounding on your outer tub. Well,
some of you may want to take your frustrations out on the machine... but
you could damage it and a new outer tub ( w/ bearings installed) runs $450
or so! A damaged outer tub will probably put the spouse in a 'shopping for
a new washer and dryer' mood...

Also, this might be a good time to learn about the dreaded door latch wax
motor failure issue. Thousands of Neptune owners have been burned by this
one and you will be next if you have the defective 12002535 wax motor. The
affected Neptunes are the MAH3000, MAH4000, MAH5500A and the 2000
stackers.

The wax motors eventually short out and damage a triac, Q6, on the machine
control board. A resistor, R11, also burns, too, which is the teltale sign
that your machine has failed along with the failure to spin the clothes.
The door locked light will not come on. If you have this situation, there
is a repair kit you can buy which includes the new wax motor design at
www.neptunewaxmotor.com. Your other option is to replace the machine
control board and the wax motor.

I hope this helps Neptune owners everywhere!