Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bottom of chimney, fireplace cover

Hi,

At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which
can be removed.

Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from?

The one in the bedroom is missing.

Thanks
Dave

------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 10:09*am, (davecasserly)
wrote:
Hi,

At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which
can be removed.

Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from?

The one in the bedroom is missing.

Thanks
Dave

------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I bet its a clean out made of metal, one would have to likely be
custom cut from thick steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

davecasserly wrote:

Hi,

At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which
can be removed.

Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from?

The one in the bedroom is missing.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimne...Cleanout-Doors
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

At the bottom of my chimney, there is a cover about 10 inch squared, which
can be removed.

Do you know what it is called and where i can buy one from?

The one in the bedroom is missing.

Thanks
Dave

------------------------------------

I bet its a clean out made of metal, one would have to likely be
custom cut from thick steel.

I read the OP as bottom of his chimney, not the bottom of his fireplace.
What he described is a flue cover...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually fellas, it sounds to me like Dave is refering to his
fireplace chimney damper. Often times they are completly removable
from the flue, especially in British style fireplaces. If you use the
fireplace rarely, It is a better option to go with a tighter fitting
damper like a chimney balloon than getting a replacement metal damper.
This style of damper can be found at http://www.chimneyballoon.us

If you use the fireplace weekly or daily then you will want to look
for the appropriate metal damper replacement or go with a chimney top
damper. These are generally installed by a professional.

By the way, to clear up any confusion in what you are referring to
Dave, can you please identify on one of these 4 fireplace diagrams
where this 10" cover is at? http://www.chimneyballoon.us/Chimneyballoonsizing.html

or does soemone else know of a more detailed chimney diagram we can
refer Dave to look at?