Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove the bottom cover in a swimming pool

Hello, I need some advice. I need to remove the cover that sits at the
bottom of the pool that the filtration pump circulates the water
through. I can't believe that it is affixed permanently in place, yet I
see no way to remove it.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair
remtom46

If it is a Hayward Drain cover then that cover should infact have
screws. It would be nice to know who built the pool or if it is a
viynl liner, concrete, or fiberglass to better acess your sitution.
Some companies are know to glue but not many. And it would also be
nice to know why you need to remove it so maybe we can fix your problem
without removing it at all.
let me know

Posted to alt.home.repair
remtom46

If it is a Hayward Drain cover then that cover should infact have
screws. It would be nice to know who built the pool or if it is a
viynl liner, concrete, or fiberglass to better acess your sitution.
Some companies are know to glue but not many. And it would also be
nice to know why you need to remove it so maybe we can fix your problem
without removing it at all.
let me know

-Matt Giovanisci

http://www.swimuniversity.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeB

remtom46 wrote:
If it is a Hayward Drain cover then that cover should infact have
screws. It would be nice to know who built the pool or if it is a
viynl liner, concrete, or fiberglass to better acess your sitution.
Some companies are know to glue but not many. And it would also be
nice to know why you need to remove it so maybe we can fix your problem
without removing it at all.
let me know

It is an in-ground plaster pool. I don't know who built it - it is
about 12 years old. The filtration system says its Pac-Fab, but the
word "Hayward" rings a bell. I hope to high heaven it ain't glued, I
really need to get in there. My wife lost the diamond from her
engagement ring in the pool. We've vacuumed and now drained the pool,
no luck. There seems to be a fair amount of some sandy sediment at the
bottom of the pool drain, but I can't see very well for the water
obscuring it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GotBonus?

"MikeB" wrote in message
oups.com...

remtom46 wrote:
[...]

Are you SURE the diamond went into the drain? Could it be still laying on
the bottom of the pool somewhere?
Do yo use a pool cleaner/vacuum? Check the filter basket at the pump.

What kind of filtration system is it?
If that diamond went into the bottom drain , it has most likely made it to
the filter.

If its a sand filter and you have backwashed it since the loss, start
searching the area the water was released to.
same with DE.

If the filter is a cartridge type, i would take the filter apart then slowly
and gently pull out the cartridge(s) and place them on a tarp, then clean
and search the bottom interior of the filter housing. If the diamond isn't
there you need to look in the pleats of the cartridge(s).

Best of luck, my mother once lost a large diamond pendant while on a daily
walk in the winter. The following spring as the snow melted, she found it
lodged in a crack in the sidewalk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeB

GotBonus? wrote:
"MikeB" wrote in message
oups.com...

remtom46 wrote:
[...]

We drained the pool. Just before the filter is a little basket that
catches anything over a matchead. After draining the pool we checked in
there - no luck. The diamond couldn't have gotten past that screen, it
is slightly over 2ct.

Do yo use a pool cleaner/vacuum? Check the filter basket at the pump.

We have a polaris, we checked the bag on it as well and took it out of
the pool.

What kind of filtration system is it?
If that diamond went into the bottom drain , it has most likely made it to
the filter.

It is the kind that one puts DE (or alternative) on filter grids in a
pressure tank. Not sure what the proper name is.

If its a sand filter and you have backwashed it since the loss, start
searching the area the water was released to.
same with DE.

As I said, I'm 100% sure the diamond didn't get past the little basket
right before the pump.

If the filter is a cartridge type, i would take the filter apart then slowly
and gently pull out the cartridge(s) and place them on a tarp, then clean
and search the bottom interior of the filter housing. If the diamond isn't
there you need to look in the pleats of the cartridge(s).

Best of luck, my mother once lost a large diamond pendant while on a daily
walk in the winter. The following spring as the snow melted, she found it
lodged in a crack in the sidewalk.

LOL, lucky Mom. I' swept the bottom of the pool with a broom and a
vacuum cleaner - no luck.

I can tell you we have a new rule in the pool area - NO JEWELRY!