Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre-Finished Stair Treads?

Hi All,

I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two
questions:

1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

2. Present plywood treads are glued/nailed to stringers. To remove
could potentially damage the stringer. Is it feasible to overlay the
new tread directly onto the existing plywood tread? I realize it could
skew the height of the top or bottom stair by the thickness of the
tread....

Thanks in advance!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 10:25*am, Jim Conway wrote:
Hi All,

I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two
questions:

1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

2. Present plywood treads are glued/nailed to stringers. To remove
could potentially damage the stringer. Is it feasible to overlay the
new tread directly onto the existing plywood tread? I realize it could
skew the height of the top or bottom stair by the thickness of the
tread....

Thanks in advance!!

1 . DAGS search for pre-finished stair treads. Yes, they are readily
available, on-line and in stores. Of course, unfinished will be
cheaper and can always be finished outdoors or in a well ventilated
area prior to installation. Damaging the finish during installation is
a wash whether you do the finishing yourself or purchase pre-finished
treads.

2. My grandfather, a mason and woodworker who built countless stoops
and staircases, had a saying related to steps: "The feet remember."
If the top, bottom or any step in between has a different rise, even
just the thickness of a tread, you will create an "uncomfortableness"
at best, a tripping hazard (especially when carrying something) at
worst. Remove the old treads. Pull the nails and sand off any
remaining wood/adhesive. Obviously I can't see how the existing treads
are attached, but I'm not sure I would be concerned about "potential"
damage. I'd be more concerned about uneven risers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Conway" wrote

1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

Yes, but may not be at the box stores where you are. Google will show many
of them you can order online.

2. Present plywood treads are glued/nailed to stringers. To remove
could potentially damage the stringer. Is it feasible to overlay the
new tread directly onto the existing plywood tread? I realize it could
skew the height of the top or bottom stair by the thickness of the
tread....

Actually that will work fine but be sure you do it with all of them. Like
the other person said 'feet remember'. It's ok if the bottom step is a bit
different, but the one's between should be the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 1:25*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Jim Conway" wrote

[...]

I beg to differ, in a most polite manner.

If I'm carrying something down a flight of stairs, such as a large box
or a laundry basket, and my feet have figured out the distance of each
riser, they're going to expect the ground to be at a certain place. If
it's lower by tread width (~ 3/4") then there's going to be a "jolt"
as my foot keeps going after it expects to stop.

It's kind of like stepping out of a tub whose "floor" is higher than
the bathroom floor. The eyes may not pick up the difference in depth
and that extra inch or so can be disconcerting as your foot keeps
going after you expected it to stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 9:46*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim Conway wrote:
Hi All,

I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two
questions:

1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

What "toxic aroma"?

Perhaps 'unhealthy aroma' would have been a better choice of words.
I'm talking about the smell of the polyurethane which would require
open windows until it abates, but as I've also learned (having
previously painted with an oil-based primer) which would also be
susceptible to creating an exhaust-like smell due to hot-water,
dryer, or furnace pilot igniting the fumes....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Conway wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim Conway wrote:
Hi All,
I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two
questions:
1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

What "toxic aroma"?

Perhaps 'unhealthy aroma' would have been a better choice of words.
I'm talking about the smell of the polyurethane which would require
open windows until it abates, but as I've also learned (having
previously painted with an oil-based primer) which would also be
susceptible to creating an exhaust-like smell due to hot-water,
dryer, or furnace pilot igniting the fumes....

If you decide to go with prefinished, I'd air them out for several days
in someplace other than the house. I remember unboxing kitchen cabinets
and stair parts as a kid, and the outgassing from the finish after it
was trapped in a hot truck or warehouse, would knock you on your ass.
Any fresh finish will smell for awhile. Factory finish will probably
abate quicker, since it is partially cured when you get it. I understand
modern water-based urethanes are much better that way, but have never
worked with them personally. Big virtue of factory finish is that it is
much harder and more durable than anything you can do in the field. (In
my experience, at least.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 10:41*am, aemeijers wrote:
Jim Conway wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:46 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim Conway wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

If you decide to go with prefinished, I'd air them out for several
days in someplace other than the house.

And then I'd bring them in the house, preferably fairly close to where
they will be installed, and let them acclimate for a day or two. This
should be done with any wood product prior to installation.

Stair treads by T & G Arthur 51 UK diy 22 July 19th 07 06:55 PM
Wear on Stair Treads Jerome Ranch Woodworking 15 July 6th 06 05:56 PM
Oak stair treads - Help Please Tom H Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 12:41 PM
Bamboo Stair Treads Punky Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 05:17 AM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 9th 04 11:54 PM