Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Pre-Finished Stair Treads?

On Oct 9, 10:25*am, Jim Conway wrote:
Hi All,

I'm on the tail end of a basement refinishing project and have two
questions:

1. Are pre-finished stair treads (for interior staircase) common and
something I would be able to find easily, or do they typically sell
them as unfinished? I'm looking to avoid the toxic aroma associated
with finishing them in their entirety if it can be avoided.

2. Present plywood treads are glued/nailed to stringers. To remove
could potentially damage the stringer. Is it feasible to overlay the
new tread directly onto the existing plywood tread? I realize it could
skew the height of the top or bottom stair by the thickness of the
tread....

Thanks in advance!!

1 . DAGS search for pre-finished stair treads. Yes, they are readily
available, on-line and in stores. Of course, unfinished will be
cheaper and can always be finished outdoors or in a well ventilated
area prior to installation. Damaging the finish during installation is
a wash whether you do the finishing yourself or purchase pre-finished
treads.

2. My grandfather, a mason and woodworker who built countless stoops
and staircases, had a saying related to steps: "The feet remember."
If the top, bottom or any step in between has a different rise, even
just the thickness of a tread, you will create an "uncomfortableness"
at best, a tripping hazard (especially when carrying something) at
worst. Remove the old treads. Pull the nails and sand off any
remaining wood/adhesive. Obviously I can't see how the existing treads
are attached, but I'm not sure I would be concerned about "potential"
damage. I'd be more concerned about uneven risers.