Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Change convector radiators to cast iron??

After having a new oil-fired hot water boiler installed, I’m
considering the value in replacing some of my convector radiators with
cast-iron. But, not sure if it's worth the hassle. Which would feel
more comfortable and/or be cheaper to run in the long run? For
example, convectors require shorter more frequent boiler firings to
keep the temp steady in the house. And although cast-iron radiators
require longer boiler firing time to heat up, they stay hot longer.
Sounds like it’s an even wash either way, but your comments are
appreciated.

-Theodore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
After having a new oil-fired hot water boiler installed, I’m
considering the value in replacing some of my convector radiators with
cast-iron. But, not sure if it's worth the hassle. Which would feel
more comfortable and/or be cheaper to run in the long run? For
example, convectors require shorter more frequent boiler firings to
keep the temp steady in the house. And although cast-iron radiators
require longer boiler firing time to heat up, they stay hot longer.
Sounds like it’s an even wash either way, but your comments are
appreciated.

-Theodore.

************************************************** ************************

Only some? If they are on the same zone you can wind up with uneven heat.
While I personally like cast iron radiators for the heat retention, I'd not
bother with the change. I don't see any energy savings as a Btu is a
Btu,but there may be a little comfort difference in some places if you have
any drafts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Cast iron radiators take up a lot more space than convectors (especiall
fllorboard convectors). You'll miss that space if you convert.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message
Cast iron radiators take up a lot more space than convectors (especiall
fllorboard convectors). You'll miss that space if you convert.
--
Peace,
BobJ

No, they don't. Take the same space
http://www.slantfin.com/product-rhino-cast.html
http://www.usboilerco.com/radiator/58100.cfm
http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/re...ors/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, they don't. *Take the same spacehttp://www.slantfin.com/product-rhino-cast.htmlhttp://www.usboilerco.com/radiator/58100.cfmhttp://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/residential_radiators/index.html

I'm not so concerned with the space they'll take up. More concerned
about if they'll make it *feel* warmer, and at what cost. I'm also
wary of the uneven effect it may cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For example, this webpage talks about "radiant temperature," as
comfort level.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild....aspx?nterms=6
5792,62152
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 7:40*pm, wrote:
No, they don't. *Take the same spacehttp://www.slantfin.com/product-rhino-cast.htmlhttp://www.usboilerco....

I'm not so concerned with the space they'll take up. *More concerned
about if they'll make it *feel* warmer, and at what cost. *I'm also
wary of the uneven effect it may cause.

To "feel" warmer raise the temp, if that all you want radiators will
be a waste. Baseboards depending on type run at higher boiler temps,
mixing the two is for a pro to run numbers, a pro that has done it
with happy customers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Every time your boiler runs, it blows heat out the chimney and it has
to heat up the pipes and the radiators before you feel any warmth at
all.
Heating all this metal, water and air costs money.
Over the last few years, radiator manufactures have made radiators
with less metal, holding less water to be most economic.
Cast iron radiators got left behind as they absorb so much heat and
cost more to run.
Perry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 10:02*am, PerryOne wrote:
Every time your boiler runs, it blows heat out the chimney and it has
to heat up the pipes and the radiators before you feel any warmth at
all.
Heating all this metal, water and air costs money.
Over the last few years, radiator manufactures have made radiators
with less metal, holding less water to be most economic.
Cast iron radiators got left behind as they absorb so much heat and
cost more to run.
Perry

Since when " left behind" any heat to the radiator is heat released to
the home. I live with radiators and no boiler pro here we have talked
to advocates getting rid of them. Your efficency is the boiler. Now in
floor radiant has the heat lower and under you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"PerryOne" wrote in message

Every time your boiler runs, it blows heat out the chimney and it has
to heat up the pipes and the radiators before you feel any warmth at
all.
Heating all this metal, water and air costs money.
Over the last few years, radiator manufactures have made radiators
with less metal, holding less water to be most economic.
Cast iron radiators got left behind as they absorb so much heat and
cost more to run.
Perry

Think about the physics of what you wrote. Where does that heat go once in
the radiators? How would they cost more to run? They may be less
responsive, but the thermal mass is a plus. If it goes into the water and
the metal, it is going to eventually come back out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 12:14 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"PerryOne" wrote in message

Every time your boiler runs, it blows heat out the chimney and it has
to heat up the pipes and the radiators before you feel any warmth at
all.
Heating all this metal, water and air costs money.
Over the last few years, radiator manufactures have made radiators
with less metal, holding less water to be most economic.
Cast iron radiators got left behind as they absorb so much heat and
cost more to run.
Perry

Think about the physics of what you wrote. Where does that heat go once in
the radiators? How would they cost more to run? They may be less
responsive, but the thermal mass is a plus. If it goes into the water and
the metal, it is going to eventually come back out.

My reply goes like this - its spring time, its morning, the heating
has raised the room temperature, its comfortable.
the sun comes out, the temperature goes up, the room is too hot, the
radiators are still delivering heat. You open the window because its
too hot.
Its evening, it gets cold, you wait for the room to heat up, a pressed
steel radiator, responds quicker, the cast iron one has to heat its
self first, then the air in the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:45*pm, wrote:
After having a new oil-fired hot water boiler installed, I’m
considering the value in replacing some of my convector radiators with
cast-iron. *But, not sure if it's worth the hassle. *Which would feel
more comfortable and/or be cheaper to run in the long run? *For
example, convectors require shorter more frequent boiler firings to
keep the temp steady in the house. *And although cast-iron radiators
require longer boiler firing time to heat up, they stay hot longer.
Sounds like it’s an even wash either way, but your comments are
appreciated.

-Theodore.

It's mostly a quality of life / preference issue. I have lived with
the cast iron radiators for the last 12 years and like them a lot.
The heat is indeed even, and you can put things on them to warm up -
e.g., put your cold wet gloves and boots on it when you come in, or
put your slippers on it so they'll be toasty when you get up in the
morning, etc. They do take up space, complicate arranging furniture
and are kinda hard to clean. Mine also clank a bit. A couple of HVAC
people have told me they are the best but people don't install them
now in new construction due to the upfront cost. --H

Bleeding cast iron radiators [email protected] UK diy 6 August 25th 08 08:59 AM
Reconditioning Cast Iron Radiators abaker UK diy 6 February 12th 08 12:08 AM
Old Cast Iron Radiators and Forced Hot Water (Shut off valve question) msterspy Home Repair 3 February 28th 05 01:53 AM
Flushing cast iron radiators Witchy UK diy 3 December 6th 04 07:45 PM
Humidifier for older cast iron radiators pet Home Repair 11 October 19th 04 01:57 AM