Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Change convector radiators to cast iron??

On Oct 4, 10:45*pm, wrote:
After having a new oil-fired hot water boiler installed, I’m
considering the value in replacing some of my convector radiators with
cast-iron. *But, not sure if it's worth the hassle. *Which would feel
more comfortable and/or be cheaper to run in the long run? *For
example, convectors require shorter more frequent boiler firings to
keep the temp steady in the house. *And although cast-iron radiators
require longer boiler firing time to heat up, they stay hot longer.
Sounds like it’s an even wash either way, but your comments are
appreciated.

-Theodore.

It's mostly a quality of life / preference issue. I have lived with
the cast iron radiators for the last 12 years and like them a lot.
The heat is indeed even, and you can put things on them to warm up -
e.g., put your cold wet gloves and boots on it when you come in, or
put your slippers on it so they'll be toasty when you get up in the
morning, etc. They do take up space, complicate arranging furniture
and are kinda hard to clean. Mine also clank a bit. A couple of HVAC
people have told me they are the best but people don't install them
now in new construction due to the upfront cost. --H