Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chlorinate well question

My well is 44 years old, 100 feet deep and 5-inch diameter, with a submersible
pump. What is the recommended chlorinating procedure for the novice? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Sudy Nim wrote:
My well is 44 years old, 100 feet deep and 5-inch diameter, with a submersible
pump. What is the recommended chlorinating procedure for the novice? TIA

Leave it alone unless there's a specific problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 6:01 pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
My well is 44 years old, 100 feet deep and 5-inch diameter, with a submersible
pump. What is the recommended chlorinating procedure for the novice? TIA

http://www.joinermicrolab.com/JML_Disinfection.pdf

The recommended chlorine amount is for 200-400 feet depth. Reduce as
appropriate.

That assumes your well has a removable cap. If your well head is in a
pit and you have to disconnect and lift 80' of galvanized pipe, it's
going to be more difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sudy Nim wrote:
My well is 44 years old, 100 feet deep and 5-inch diameter, with a
submersible pump. What is the recommended chlorinating procedure for
the novice? TIA

Why do you want to chlorinate it?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Why do you want to chlorinate it?

dadiOH

Why? Why do you wash your vegetables before eating? Why would you need
a test to make sure there is nothing in the water? My parents and
brother where 'quick walking' to the bathroom for a week before they
got the water tested... doesn't need a test if there is something
suspicious.

Why would you not?... really, sure it's a job to shock your well but
is there a danger to doing it when you don't need to? Kinda like the
vegetable thing, it would be the same as washing organic vegetables.
(Please respond if their is a risk OTHER than the chemicals left in
the lines by a DIY'er)

One more thing... I'm thinking of selling my house next spring, if I
get a test done and there is a reason to shock the well, I have to
declare it when I sell. If I don't know of the problem but shock the
well anyways, the tests when I sell the house will show an all clear!
I'll be glad that I shocked it for MY own health and future sale of
the house!

cln

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Sudy Nim wrote:
My well is 44 years old, 100 feet deep and 5-inch diameter, with a

submersible
pump. What is the recommended chlorinating procedure for the novice? TIA

Depends on your water test for coliform bacteria. If it's zero, no need.
If it's detected, a one time flash chlorination to get rid of it and
then retest. Only if I had persistent recurring coliform bacteria
problem would I consider chlorination. I would also be looking up stream
for the cause of the contamination.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Appreciate all the replies. The previous owner said he dumped a gallon of bleach
into the well via the removable cap once a year to clean the well, improve taste
and to remove bacteria. Just wanted to continue with his instructions. However,
as I can not see any problem thought it would be best to ask those with
experience if this was a required routine. Sudy Nim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pleeeeeeese..... i grew up on well water and you do not chlorinate it.
Jeeeeeze.. What's the purpose of having a well if you're going to ruin the
water like city water?

"cln" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sudy Nim wrote:
[...]

Why put a poison into good water Bleach is a poison that kills AIDs
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cln" wrote in message

[...]

cln- Hide quoted text -

So country folks can say city water is
crap..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:
Why do you want to chlorinate it?

dadiOH

Why? Why do you wash your vegetables before eating? Why would you need
a test to make sure there is nothing in the water? My parents and
brother where 'quick walking' to the bathroom for a week before they
got the water tested...

Probably because they didn't wash their veggies with silver nitrate.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sudy Nim" wrote:

Appreciate all the replies. The previous owner said he dumped a gallon of bleach
into the well via the removable cap once a year to clean the well, improve taste
and to remove bacteria. Just wanted to continue with his instructions. However,
as I can not see any problem thought it would be best to ask those with
experience if this was a required routine.

Breaking the cap seal on a clean well is a really bad idea as it raises the
potential for bacterial contamination. Throwing a gallon of bleach down the well
does not prevent this unless you completely cover the entire interior casing and
cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Sep 30, 11:53*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
Oh pleeeeeeese..... * i grew up on well water and you do not chlorinate it.
Jeeeeeze.. *What's the purpose of having a well if you're going to ruin the
water like city water?

I grew up on well water too but when the neighbor desiced to replace
his septic tank... his problem became ours.
Chlorine was the only solution... as a matter of fact, we had to shock
it a second time because the results still came out bad!

Chlorine is drained out, so you loose that 'city taste'.
You wash you dishes right? do you leave the soap on the dishes or do
you rinse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Oh pleeeeeeese..... * i grew up on well water and you do not chlorinate it.
Jeeeeeze.. *What's the purpose of having a well if you're going to ruin the
water like city water?

I grew up on well water too but when the neighbor desiced to replace
his septic tank... his problem became ours.
Chlorine was the only solution... as a matter of fact, we had to shock
it a second time because the results still came out bad!

Chlorine is drained out, so you loose that 'city taste'.
You wash you dishes right? do you leave the soap on the dishes or do
you rinse?

Now, this makes no sense. You say your neighbor replaced his septic
system and it caused your well to become contaminated, so you shocked
it with chlorine, and then continued to use it? Are you for real?
Code specifies the minimum allowed distance between a septic system
and a well to avoid this problem. And if a septic system is
contaminating your drinking water, I don't know who in their right
mind would think shocking it with some chlorine a couple times was a
safe and acceptable solution.