Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Do remote controls talk to each other?

I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou

Never had that problem, but remotes can share some of the same frequencies.
If you look at the "all in one" units you will see they can be programmed to
work various units from different manufacturers. Check to see if one of
yours can be changed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message

I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou

Never had that problem, but remotes can share some of the same frequencies.
If you look at the "all in one" units you will see they can be programmed to
work various units from different manufacturers. Check to see if one of
yours can be changed.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou

Is your home equipped with an IR
repeater system that has infrared
transponders throughout the house?

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

A little confusing as he wants to know if remotes talk to each other.
Could be that the AC is sending an IR beam when it turns on. I'd try taping
over the sensor on the AC to see what happens.
OTOH, it is late September and getting too cool

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

A little confusing as he wants to know if remotes talk to each other.
Could be that the AC is sending an IR beam when it turns on.

That would be strange. Why would it?

I'd try taping
over the sensor on the AC to see what happens.
OTOH, it is late September and getting too cool

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

A little confusing as he wants to know if remotes talk to each other.
Could be that the AC is sending an IR beam when it turns on. I'd try taping
over the sensor on the AC to see what happens.
OTOH, it is late September and getting too cool

The latest portable A/C's with IR remote control, went a
step further and now have a time/temp thermostat built into
the remote control. You can now set temp and time settings
in the remote and it will control the A/C just like a
wireless thermostat. Includes handy bracket for wall
mounting. There are retro A/C universal remotes on the web
for around $8 with these features for earlier Japan/ Korean/
Chinese A/C's.

Guess the remote A/C IR code could match a TV set code.
There are over 1000 TV code "standards" alone, and I still
have 2 TVs the latest universal remote doesn't have a
matching code for. nothing like standards, there are so
many to chose from ;-)

-- larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would you PLEASE tell the kids to stop pushing the hurricane button?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I have a remote that talks to God......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:51:53 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

A little confusing as he wants to know if remotes talk to each other.
Could be that the AC is sending an IR beam when it turns on. I'd try taping
over the sensor on the AC to see what happens.
OTOH, it is late September and getting too cool

I'm too far south for September to be a fall month. However it was
nice and cool for a few days after Ike hit, when people couldn't use
their A/C.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:09:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Would you PLEASE tell the kids to stop pushing the hurricane button?

BTW, this top-posting AND putting your sig in the wrong place AND not
marking quoted text ISN'T a good thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would you PLEASE tell the kids to stop pushing the hurricane button?

BTW, this top-posting AND putting your sig in the wrong place AND not
marking quoted text ISN'T a good thing.

Yeah, no ****. Chris, you've been chided and scolded repeatedly for
this, and you persist. WTF, man, stop irritating your roomies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.
Anyone had this problem?
Lou

Just a thought, I had a friend who's
TV remote system was driven nuts by
a compact fluorescent bulb installed
in a table lamp. It could be possible,
if you have a CFL near your TV, that
a voltage drop occurring when your
AC starts up could cause a frequency
shift in the output circuitry of the
CFL that mimics a remote control.
A CFL lamp uses a high frequency
electronic ballast operating in the
range of 40 kHz which is similar to
the frequency range that IR remotes
operate in. I wonder if you are using
any CFL lamps around your entertainment
center?

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Well, we are trying the tape over the sensor first. Since it doesn't
happen every time it may take a few days. After that I'll just go
down the list. Thanks everyone.
Lou
For the person who has a remote that talks to god,
I just want to point out, that you didn't say that
god communicates to you through the remote.
There is a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an
entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for
years and works great.
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off. We have always had a wall unit with no problems. The electric
checks out, so theres no problem that anyone can find. The only thing
someone suggested is that the remote sensors talk to each other.

No, that is baloney. The sensors are sensors, not emitters. They do
not produce any signals.

The emitter is on the handheld remote unit. Yours has a thermostat
function built into the remote. The remote is telling the AC to come
on, and that signal happens to be the same signal that tells your
entertainment system to come on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
Well, we are trying the tape over the sensor first. Since it doesn't
happen every time it may take a few days. After that I'll just go
down the list. Thanks everyone.
Lou

Take the batteries out of the AC remote. Problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Sep 24, 9:27 am, wrote:
Lou wrote:
Well, we are trying the tape over the sensor first. Since it doesn't
happen every time it may take a few days. After that I'll just go
down the list. Thanks everyone.
Lou

Take the batteries out of the AC remote. Problem solved.

Found the problem, who can guess what it was?
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Sep 25, 4:06 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Does it involve a family pet?

Nope.

Sony VCR remote controls Peter Johnson UK diy 0 January 9th 06 06:24 PM
Sony VCR remote controls Hzatph UK diy 0 January 9th 06 11:49 AM
Sony VCR remote controls Alec UK diy 0 January 8th 06 10:12 PM
Sony VCR remote controls Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 January 8th 06 10:08 PM