Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Do remote controls talk to each other?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message
Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c installed with a remote
control. Now when
the a/c automatically turns on, the entertainment system goes on and
off.

??? The OP said when the A/C "automatically" comes on -- I took that to
mean without anybody touching the remote.

A little confusing as he wants to know if remotes talk to each other.
Could be that the AC is sending an IR beam when it turns on. I'd try taping
over the sensor on the AC to see what happens.
OTOH, it is late September and getting too cool

The latest portable A/C's with IR remote control, went a
step further and now have a time/temp thermostat built into
the remote control. You can now set temp and time settings
in the remote and it will control the A/C just like a
wireless thermostat. Includes handy bracket for wall
mounting. There are retro A/C universal remotes on the web
for around $8 with these features for earlier Japan/ Korean/
Chinese A/C's.

Guess the remote A/C IR code could match a TV set code.
There are over 1000 TV code "standards" alone, and I still
have 2 TVs the latest universal remote doesn't have a
matching code for. nothing like standards, there are so
many to chose from ;-)

-- larry / dallas