Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to trim out bath vent on siding (pics)

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Greetings. Today I installed a Broan bath vent on the outside wall of
my bathroom. Because my siding is not flat, I had to cut out the
perimeter of the vent as the instructions say. I now have to trim out
the opening. What is the best way? In the second pic you see a window
that has a J- channel or whatever its called at the edges of the
siding. I thought thats what I could use. Any inputs appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/BathroomFanVent#

I don't think I would have followed the instructions in this case. That
exterior vent cover would have covered the duct hole nicely. You could have
put backer rod and caulk all around to seal it. I am clueless as to what a
good remedy for this might be. Maybe try a siding supply company for trim
pieces that you can fit in there. Can you extend the vent cover so that it
is at least even with the existing siding?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think I would have followed the instructions in this case. *That
exterior vent cover would have covered the duct hole nicely. *You could have
put backer rod and caulk all around to seal it. *I am clueless as to what a
good remedy for this might be. *Maybe try a siding supply company for trim
pieces that you can fit in there. *Can you extend the vent cover so that it
is at least even with the existing siding?

Yes, its only held in with 2 screws now until I decide how to trim it.

Can I use foam board to build it out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

I don't think I would have followed the instructions in this case. That
exterior vent cover would have covered the duct hole nicely. You could
have
put backer rod and caulk all around to seal it. I am clueless as to what a
good remedy for this might be. Maybe try a siding supply company for trim
pieces that you can fit in there. Can you extend the vent cover so that it
is at least even with the existing siding?

Yes, its only held in with 2 screws now until I decide how to trim it.

Can I use foam board to build it out?

I don't know about the foam board, but perhaps something like this will
work:
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew25.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of places I called have the mounting blocks, but they said
they are made to be put in before the siding is put up. They don't
know of a product to put on after the fact.
If my hole is already cut, can't I finnagle the block in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
A couple of places I called have the mounting blocks, but they said
they are made to be put in before the siding is put up. They don't
know of a product to put on after the fact.
If my hole is already cut, can't I finnagle the block in?

This is uncharted territory for me. I suppose that it may be possible to
put something that was sized appropriately in at an angle and then rotate.
The width could not be bigger than the diagonal of the hole. You would also
need to have a duct hole that lined up with your exhaust fan duct made in
the piece. Measure three times before doing anything.

I'd take your pictures to the siding places and show them what you have to
work with. They may have other ideas and materials that could work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
A couple of places I called have the mounting blocks, but they said
they are made to be put in before the siding is put up. They don't
know of a product to put on after the fact.
If my hole is already cut, can't I finnagle the block in?

If the hole is cut to the size of the siding block, simply pop the
siding loose and slide it in. You will need to hold the siding out of
the way while you secure the block with roofing nails but is fairly easy
to do. The blocks do come in several sizes so measure the existing hole
before the trip. You may need to recut the siding to accept a larger
block. Most blocks come with J channel molded in so you kill two birds
with one block.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
A couple of places I called have the mounting blocks, but they said
they are made to be put in before the siding is put up. They don't
know of a product to put on after the fact.
If my hole is already cut, can't I finnagle the block in?

Maybe. One of those 'siding zipper' tools helps, as does doing the work
after the sun has been shining on the wall a couple of hours.
Worth a try- worst you can do is bust a piece of siding, and that
doesn't look too hard to match.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In a nutshell, Lowes and HD did sell those blocks. Had I known, all I
had to do was mount the block first, then drill my 4" hole in the
block, then mount the vent on the block.
I did improvise. I put foam blocking to bring out the vent, then I
used the blocking over the opening , then I installed the vent on the
block. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post a new thread.
Thanks for everyones help.