Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of drill bit for bathroom tiles?

Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 8:04*am, William wrote:
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Are you drilling into tile, cast iron, wood, etc.?

These things will affect what type of drill you would use.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

They sell special bits for tiles. Try to drill in the grout lines
rather than the tiles. If you must drill in the tile, take your time
and don't force it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"William" wrote in message
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

They sell glass and tile drill bits at Lowe's. They look like spear points,
but do a great job of drilling into tile. Size depends on how big you need
for your screw or anchor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 12:24*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
Rodman makes carbide tipped tools, one of which is a drill bit that will
easily handle tile. *Use light steady pressure, or the tile will crack.

It also depends on the type of tile. Porcelain tile is much harder
and does not like hammerdrill mode. I use the bullet-shaped carbide
glass drill bits where there's a critical hole near the edge of a
tile. Those bits are not as robust so it pays to take your time and
quench the bit so it doesn't overheat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rodman makes carbide tipped tools, one of which is a drill bit that will
easily handle tile. Use light steady pressure, or the tile will crack.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"William" wrote in message
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Other advice: If your tub is between two parallel walls, use a shower
curtain rail that is held in place by spring action and requires no drilling
into the walls. An awful lot easier.
http://www.amazon.com/ZENITH-PRODUCT...842680&sr=1-11
or
http://www.amazon.com/Croscill-Decor...842680&sr=1-12
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

"William" wrote in message

Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

They sell glass and tile drill bits at Lowe's. They look like spear
points, but do a great job of drilling into tile. Size depends on how
big you need for your screw or anchor.

I use a small diamond bit to penetrate the tile's glazed surface and
then switch to a carbide spade bit.

Keep the bit and tile very cool. Do not force the bit. Lubricate the
location being drilled. Water is a sufficient lubricant. Be patient.

Most tile cracks because of thermally induced stress. Whenever possible
I drill tile under water (tile in a bucket with an inch of water) and
I've never cracked one even when drilling 2" holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Mikepier" wrote in message

They sell special bits for tiles. Try to drill in the grout lines
rather than the tiles. If you must drill in the tile, take your time
and don't force it.

Actually, if your tiles have small grout lines, DO NOT DRILL in the grout
lines, your bit will be hitting the edge of 2 tiles and will either crack
the tile or make big chips in the glaze as you drill. The easiest method I
have found to drill through a tile is to gently tap an ice-pick with a
hammer to chip a little flake off the glaze where you want to start
drilling, then use a brand new - never used before - sharp masonry bit in a
non-hammer drill. Start slowly and don't increase the RPMs too much and it
will cut through the tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

"William" wrote in message

Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Other advice: If your tub is between two parallel walls, use a shower
curtain rail that is held in place by spring action and requires no drilling
into the walls. An awful lot easier.
http://www.amazon.com/ZENITH-PRODUCT...842680&sr=1-11
or
http://www.amazon.com/Croscill-Decor...842680&sr=1-12

Tension rods are the only thing I use - two baths. Have never had one
fall except when I had
just taken it down to work and didn't have it adjusted just right when I
put it back up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

They sell special bits for tiles. Try to drill in the grout lines
rather than the tiles. If you must drill in the tile, take your time
and don't force it.

Actually, if your tiles have small grout lines, DO NOT DRILL in the
grout lines, your bit will be hitting the edge of 2 tiles and will
either crack the tile or make big chips in the glaze as you drill. The
easiest method I have found to drill through a tile is to gently tap an
ice-pick with a hammer to chip a little flake off the glaze where you
want to start drilling, then use a brand new - never used before - sharp
masonry bit in a non-hammer drill. Start slowly and don't increase the
RPMs too much and it will cut through the tile.

I use those little carbide spade bits for glass/tile. They come as a
set of 4 or 5 bits. I use the smallest one first to drill a pilot hole,
then follow with the right sized bit.

You're right about low RPM's.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 19, 8:04*am, William wrote:
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Use a Dremel with a globed diamond tipped bit. Will go through
porcelain/ceramic tile very easily with very little chance of breaking
the tile.
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

William wrote:
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Unless your surround is tiled all the way to the ceiling, put the shower
rod above the tile. Tall users will appreciate it, and shower curtain
will stay clean longer, since the bottom dries quicker. Also put the rod
as far from the back wall as you can- it makes the usable space in the
shower bigger, since the curtain isn't flapping around and sticking to
your body. Narrow showers suck.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in news:JYZAk.228769$102.70405
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

William wrote:
Am putting up a shower curtain rail. What type and size(?) of drill/
drill bit should I use? Any other advice welcome.

Unless your surround is tiled all the way to the ceiling, put the shower
rod above the tile. Tall users will appreciate it, and shower curtain
will stay clean longer, since the bottom dries quicker. Also put the rod
as far from the back wall as you can- it makes the usable space in the
shower bigger, since the curtain isn't flapping around and sticking to
your body. Narrow showers suck.

--
aem sends...

I had never had one of those curved "motel" rods as they call them.
Recently put one in. Really nice in that it gives you a hell of a lot more
elbow room and eliminates the flapping around and sticking to your body.
About $35 and worth it.

Linoleum Tiles Over Real Tiles on Bathroom Floor averydarkplace Home Repair 11 December 22nd 07 02:17 AM
Bathroom tiles... [email protected] UK diy 15 September 16th 05 10:16 AM
bathroom tiles Chey UK diy 0 June 10th 05 06:37 AM
Holes in bathroom tiles GPG UK diy 7 April 29th 05 03:02 PM
What Kind of Carbide Drill Bit to Drill Out a Tap? Wally Blackburn Metalworking 21 May 19th 04 04:39 PM