Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default What kind of drill bit for bathroom tiles?

EXT wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

They sell special bits for tiles. Try to drill in the grout lines
rather than the tiles. If you must drill in the tile, take your time
and don't force it.

Actually, if your tiles have small grout lines, DO NOT DRILL in the
grout lines, your bit will be hitting the edge of 2 tiles and will
either crack the tile or make big chips in the glaze as you drill. The
easiest method I have found to drill through a tile is to gently tap an
ice-pick with a hammer to chip a little flake off the glaze where you
want to start drilling, then use a brand new - never used before - sharp
masonry bit in a non-hammer drill. Start slowly and don't increase the
RPMs too much and it will cut through the tile.

I use those little carbide spade bits for glass/tile. They come as a
set of 4 or 5 bits. I use the smallest one first to drill a pilot hole,
then follow with the right sized bit.

You're right about low RPM's.

Bob