Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interpreting HVAC-CALC Results

I am converting my garage into a family room. Trying to figure out
whether I can tap into my existing central air or if I need to go with
a ductless mini-split.

Did a HVAC-CALC tonight.

Existing: 10,000 Gain, 29,000 Loss
Garage: 6,500 Gain, 13,500 Loss
Total: 16,500 Gain, 42,500 Loss

I have a 1.5 ton 10 SEER A/C, and a 40,000 BTU furnace.

So I am close. But is it too close? Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

wrldruler wrote:
I am converting my garage into a family room. Trying to figure out
whether I can tap into my existing central air or if I need to go with
a ductless mini-split.

Did a HVAC-CALC tonight.

Existing: 10,000 Gain, 29,000 Loss
Garage: 6,500 Gain, 13,500 Loss
Total: 16,500 Gain, 42,500 Loss

I have a 1.5 ton 10 SEER A/C, and a 40,000 BTU furnace.

So I am close. But is it too close? Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

Tapping into your existing central HVAC system is asking for headaches. If
your existing system was done right, the system is designed to cool / heat
your home completely [not including the garage or any other addition.]
Tapping into it will ultimately end up not working for both the converted
garage and your home.

A ductless unit would be an ideal solution. Although somewhat costly, you
would only use it when you occupy the space. Easy to install, wire, and
use. An excellent consideration.

--
Zyp

Interpreting a Lathe Manual Written by Long Duck Dong [email protected] Metalworking 2 February 16th 06 11:52 AM
Load Calc AutoTracer Home Repair 1 May 18th 05 01:44 PM
Interpreting Hot Air Furnace Specs Quest. ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 May 12th 05 04:58 AM
Floor tile material calc Bob Home Repair 12 January 11th 05 02:22 PM
Myson heat calc. questions and sourcing rads. Niel A. Farrow UK diy 2 October 29th 03 06:05 PM