Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inserting a tee in a 1/2" water line

Hi,

When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length
should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an
inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting into has a
turn, so I'm guessing I have some flexibility. Also, I presume it's a
good idea to remove slight less than necessary than slightly more than
necessary.

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 6, 9:26*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length
should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an
inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting into has a
turn, so I'm guessing I have some flexibility. Also, I presume it's a
good idea to remove slight less than necessary than slightly more than
necessary.

Thanks!

Aaron

If there is some movement in the pipe I only make one cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:26*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length
should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an
inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting into has a
turn, so I'm guessing I have some flexibility. Also, I presume it's a
good idea to remove slight less than necessary than slightly more than
necessary.

Thanks!

Aaron

Are you talking about copper tube (5/8" od x ~1/2" id) or galvanized
pipe?

If it is copper tube & you have will have enough play after the tube
is cut out about 1/2" to 5/8" (that's the approximate distance
between seated tube ends in a Tee)

repair the system by installing the Tee and two copper street
elbows......the mechanical fit up will be easy if yoy get about 1/2"
or so of offset.

Once you get the fittings ready to install....... how it goes together
will be evident.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think one early step is to research, and see what kind of pipe or tubing
you have. Copper, pex, braided flex, Ufukt, galvanized. All use different
methods of inserting a Tee.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length
should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an
inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting into has a
turn, so I'm guessing I have some flexibility. Also, I presume it's a
good idea to remove slight less than necessary than slightly more than
necessary.

Thanks!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I think one early step is to research, and see what kind of pipe or tubing
you have. Copper, pex, braided flex, Ufukt, galvanized. All use different
methods of inserting a Tee.

Mr. Fude posted a link to a picture of the pipe in question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 3:06*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I think one early step is to research, and see what kind of pipe or tubing
you have. Copper, pex, braided flex, Ufukt, galvanized. All use different
methods of inserting a Tee.

Mr. Fude posted a link to a picture of the pipe in question.

..........Mr. Fude posted a link to a picture of the pipe in
question.........

Yeah, that stuff looked like threaded black iron. Why the new
thread?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Different conversation. I remember the picture that Elmer Fude posted. But,
it wasn't the half inch water line.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I think one early step is to research, and see what kind of pipe or tubing
you have. Copper, pex, braided flex, Ufukt, galvanized. All use different
methods of inserting a Tee.

Mr. Fude posted a link to a picture of the pipe in question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe Elmer Fude is a busy handy man?

--
Christopher A. Young