DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3 prong outlet, which way is up? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/258970-3-prong-outlet-way-up.html)

[email protected] January 14th 20 08:45 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:25:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

... the reason for the human face thing :

https://neallynch.com/2012/01/01/ero...ggy-style-sex/

John T.

Clare Snyder January 14th 20 09:10 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:05:28 -0600, notX
wrote:

[snip]

In offices, some inspectors like them up in case a paper clip falls on a
plug and crosses the terminals if not fully seated.

The switched outlets are ground up so you can tell them apart by looking.

What do you do when only one half of the duplex is switched?

Intricate surgery - - -

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] January 14th 20 09:35 PM

On 1/14/2020 1:25 PM, wrote:
Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

Prove it. You can't. NEC does not care which way you mount them.

[email protected] January 15th 20 12:27 AM

wrote:

[snip]

In offices, some inspectors like them up in case a paper clip falls on a
plug and crosses the terminals if not fully seated.

The switched outlets are ground up so you can tell them apart by looking.

What do you do when only one half of the duplex is switched?

I have seen them where one was up and one was down.

[email protected] January 15th 20 12:28 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:04:12 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 1/14/20 12:25 PM, wrote:
Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

And there was the one I saw at a local police station. Duplex receptacle
installed vertically, but each outlet with the ground at a 30-degree
angle to down.

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

[email protected] January 15th 20 02:19 AM

gfre.. wrote:

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

I think what Mark Lloyd saw was that quad installed with 'HUBBELL' level on top..!

[email protected] January 15th 20 03:51 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:19:26 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

gfre.. wrote:

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

I think what Mark Lloyd saw was that quad installed with 'HUBBELL' level on top..!

There is someone put there making a duplex with one pin up and the
other down too. I just can't find it right now.

[email protected] January 15th 20 11:18 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

gf

As long as it is the Neutral on top, that is fine. Narrow floor to wall
strips can necessitate that.

dpb[_3_] January 15th 20 02:06 PM

On 1/15/2020 5:18 AM, wrote:
gf

As long as it is the Neutral on top, that is fine. Narrow floor to wall
strips can necessitate that.

The NEC is totally silent on orientation of any angle.

There is no right or wrong.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] January 15th 20 06:59 PM

On 1/14/20 8:19 PM, wrote:
gfre.. wrote:

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

I think what Mark Lloyd saw was that quad installed with 'HUBBELL' level on top..!

What I saw (and wish I got a picture of) was a vertically-installed
DUPLEX receptacle. The wallplate was straight up and down, but the
receptacles themselves were at an angle. The same angle with the ground
pin at about 30 degrees CCW of down.

Possibly this had something to do with cords having the cord connected
at an angle.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I'm a born-again atheist." [Gore Vidal]

Mark Lloyd[_12_] January 15th 20 07:02 PM

On 1/15/20 5:18 AM, wrote:
gf

As long as it is the Neutral on top, that is fine. Narrow floor to wall
strips can necessitate that.

The angle I described would have hot a little bit higher than neutral.
Ground and neutral would be at the bottom, with (IIRC) ground slightly
lower.

Designed for use in places where paper clips normally fall up :-)

hah[_4_] January 15th 20 07:04 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On 1/15/20 8:06 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/15/2020 5:18 AM, wrote:
gf

As long as it is the Neutral on top, that is fine.Â* Narrow floor to wall
strips can necessitate that.

The NEC is totally silent on orientation of any angle.

There is no right or wrong.

"2 wrongs don't make a right, but 2 rights do make a airplane." :-)

--
"With most people unbelief in one thing is founded upon blind belief in
another." Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

[email protected] January 15th 20 08:09 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

The angle I described would have hot a little bit higher than neutral.
Ground and neutral would be at the bottom, with (IIRC) ground slightly
lower.

Designed for use in places where paper clips normally fall up :-)

_________
Ya can't fix 'stupid'!

philo January 16th 20 02:21 AM

On 1/14/20 12:25 PM, wrote:
Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

Normally the ground is at the bottom but if there are slave outlets
running off a GFC, they are then installed upside down.

At least is the convention I've seen

[email protected] January 16th 20 10:34 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Philo:

If the ground hole is on top, you should be able to read anything
stamped into the plastic fascia of the receptacle. Hence, right-
side up!

None January 16th 20 02:34 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Theckhhhmah thekma @ shortbus . edu the village idiot puked up

You really are a a retarded dumb ****.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] January 16th 20 03:37 PM

On 1/16/2020 5:34 AM, wrote:
Philo:

If the ground hole is on top, you should be able to read anything
stamped into the plastic fascia of the receptacle. Hence, right-
side up!

Well those dumb guys at Leviton are printing them upside down. You
should call them and tell them

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/w5461-y
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/aftr1-kw

philo January 17th 20 02:55 AM

On 1/16/20 4:34 AM, wrote:
Philo:

If the ground hole is on top, you should be able to read anything
stamped into the plastic fascia of the receptacle. Hence, right-
side up!

Just looked. Two sets of writing.

One is correct no matter what the vertical orientation is

philo January 17th 20 02:56 AM

On 1/16/20 9:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/16/2020 5:34 AM, wrote:
Philo:

If the ground hole is on top, you should be able to read anything
stamped into the plastic fascia of the receptacle.Â* Hence, right-
side up!

Well those dumb guys at Leviton are printing them upside down.Â* You
should call them and tell them

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/w5461-y
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/aftr1-kw

Thanks for posting the images.
Seeing is believing

Red Dog January 17th 20 02:02 PM

On 1/14/20 7:28 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:04:12 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 1/14/20 12:25 PM,
wrote:
Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.

And there was the one I saw at a local police station. Duplex receptacle
installed vertically, but each outlet with the ground at a 30-degree
angle to down.

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

Apparently Hubbell likes the line/hot side up?

trader_4 January 17th 20 02:28 PM

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 1:59:09 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 1/14/20 8:19 PM, wrote:
gfre.. wrote:

You could always go with one of these

https://hubbellcdn.com/prodimage515/...DIMAGE_515.jpg

I think what Mark Lloyd saw was that quad installed with 'HUBBELL' level on top..!

What I saw (and wish I got a picture of) was a vertically-installed
DUPLEX receptacle. The wallplate was straight up and down, but the
receptacles themselves were at an angle. The same angle with the ground
pin at about 30 degrees CCW of down.

Possibly this had something to do with cords having the cord connected
at an angle.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I'm a born-again atheist." [Gore Vidal]

I can't prove it, but it seems to me most heavier gauge cords are coiled
up in a way and have the cords attached to the appliance such that
plugging it in with the ground at the bottom comes more naturally.
Next time I see a cord still as shipped, I'll check. Obviously if
it's coiled up one and attached one way vs the other, it makes it
more natural for the cord to get plugged in one way or the other,
because it lays better one way.

[email protected] January 17th 20 03:41 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On 1/14/20 8:19 PM, wrote:
gfre.. wrote:

[...]

Usually that is an "A/C cord" and they assume the window shaker will
be higher than the receptacle.