Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Sears/Kenmore dehumidifier repair?

I bought two Kenmore dehumidifiers (model 580.54351, 35 pint) two
years ago. As of about two weeks ago, the compressor on one has
completely stopped working. When you plug it in, the fan goes on for
about a minute and a half and shuts off---then nothing happens. The
refrigeration system (refrigerant, tubing, compressor motor) is under
warranty. The rest of the machine isn't. Is there something I can do
to test whether the compressor is defective, rather than the control
system?

I have a parts list, but not an electrical diagram. If anyone has
such a thing, a copy might be helpful. Any other suggestions would be
well appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Throw them in the trash. They are garbage. There have been tons of posts
about the trash dehumidifiers Sears has been putting out for the last couple
of years. I had mine replace 3 times under the 5 year refrigeration system
warranty. Later units are only guaranteed 1 year. Wonder why??? I could
have brought mine in again but I decided enuf was enuf and bought a
Whrilpool which still was made in the US and is guaranteed 5 years.
Unfortunately that one may also be made in China now. You might check
consumer reports. My previous Sears dehumdifier lasted 15 years, by the
way.