Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer vent install

Good Friday - I am running a dryer vent through as a outside wall in the
laundry room. Is there a trick to cutting the inside and outside 4 inch
holes so they line up? The studs are 2x6 inch. The outside wall placement
is an area that is hard to reach from a ladder, so I don't have easy access
for a lot of outside measuring. Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 8:23*am, "Bob" wrote:
Good Friday - I am running a dryer vent through as a outside wall in the
laundry room. *Is there a trick to cutting the inside and outside 4 inch
holes so they line up? *The studs are 2x6 inch. *The outside wall placement
is an area that is hard to reach from a ladder, so I don't have easy access
for a lot of outside measuring. *Thank you

Locate the studs, plumbing (don't forget vents!) and electrical lines
first, pick the more critical side and use a 12" bit to drill through
the wall, then use your hole saw or recip to cut the holes from both
sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 22, 9:08*am, RicodJour wrote:

snip

Locate the studs, plumbing (don't forget vents!) and electrical lines
first, pick the more critical side and use a 12" bit to drill through
the wall, then use your hole saw or recip to cut the holes from both
sides.

Good advice.
Also remember it is a good practice to have a slight downward slope to
the outside for horizontal runs of venting. Tends to keep casual
condensation or other moisture outdoors where it belongs, so they say.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:23 am, "Bob" wrote:
Good Friday - I am running a dryer vent through as a outside wall in the
laundry room. Is there a trick to cutting the inside and outside 4 inch
holes so they line up? The studs are 2x6 inch. The outside wall placement
is an area that is hard to reach from a ladder, so I don't have easy access
for a lot of outside measuring. Thank you

Locate the studs, plumbing (don't forget vents!) and electrical lines
first, pick the more critical side and use a 12" bit to drill through
the wall, then use your hole saw or recip to cut the holes from both
sides.

Hi,
If long bit and proper size hole saw can be rented from HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 9:36*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:23 am, "Bob" wrote:

Good Friday - I am running a dryer vent through as a outside wall in the
laundry room. *Is there a trick to cutting the inside and outside 4 inch
holes so they line up? *The studs are 2x6 inch. *The outside wall placement
is an area that is hard to reach from a ladder, so I don't have easy access
for a lot of outside measuring. *Thank you

Locate the studs, plumbing (don't forget vents!) and electrical lines
first, pick the more critical side and use a 12" bit to drill through
the wall, then use your hole saw or recip to cut the holes from both
sides.

If long bit and proper size hole saw can be rented from HD.

The long bit is just to penetrate the two sides of the wall - any size
bit will work - and a 12" twist bit is cheap enough. If the OP
doesn't want to use hole saw he could use a jig saw, reciprocating
saw, or just drill lots of little holes around the perimeter of the
hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:23 am, "Bob" wrote:

[...]

Just put pic of Hilary where you want hole. Fist should be about 4".
Someone will oblige.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Just put pic of Hilary where you want hole. Fist should be about 4".
Someone will oblige.

But what if McCain announces a cabinet position for Hillary? (It's
traditional for ONE cabinet position to be filled by a member of the out
party.) Maybe Secretary of the Battle Monuments Commission, or Postmaster
General.

The Democrats would be so mad, they'd stab each other. Survivors would put
bones in their noses. They'd be frying rats and eating bugs and eating rats
and frying bugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 3:40*pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 22, 9:08*am, RicodJour wrote:

snip
Locate the studs, plumbing (don't forget vents!) and electrical lines
first, pick the more critical side and use a 12" bit to drill through
the wall, then use your hole saw or recip to cut the holes from both
sides.

Good advice.
Also remember it is a good practice to have a slight downward slope to
the outside for horizontal runs of venting. Tends to keep casual
condensation or other moisture outdoors where it belongs, so they say.

Joe

Agree; downward. Never problem with our clothes dryer outlet, but our
bathroom exhaust fan pipe sloped 'up' (somebody, maybe from a warm
climate, recommended that way) so we had condensation in the pipe due
to cold air in the attic and some slight amount of condensation did
leak back and dripped onto one ceiling. The stain is still there!
BTW. Insurance requirement here, now, is that the dryer hose not be
plastic. So we replaced ours with flex aluminum. Connected to metal
through to outside wall fitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:59:36 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Red Green wrote:

Just put pic of Hilary where you want hole. Fist should be about 4".
Someone will oblige.

But what if McCain

This is the one who deserves the fist, not Hillary.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 23, 10:27*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

Just put pic of Hilary where you want hole. Fist should be about 4".
Someone will oblige.

A pic of Obama would yield a hole stuffed with crooked money any place
in Chicago.

Joe