Posted to alt.home.repair

Default granite countertop tile question

Hi.....I am contemplating installing a granite tile countertop. All the
DIY pages use concrete backer board, or denshield, adhered to the
plywood underlay used to form the base for the replacement countertop.
What would happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the
plywood, and sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting
underneath? I can see the need for backer board in say a shower stall
floor, but a countertop?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Aug 20, 7:00 pm, Finlay Spicer wrote:
Hi.....I am contemplating installing a granite tile countertop. All the
DIY pages use concrete backer board, or denshield, adhered to the
plywood underlay used to form the base for the replacement countertop.
What would happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the
plywood, and sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting
underneath? I can see the need for backer board in say a shower stall
floor, but a countertop?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If the ply is thick enough, go ahead. However think of it this way.
The backer board
is cheap insurance.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 20, 7:35*pm, Lou wrote:
On Aug 20, 7:00 pm, Finlay Spicer wrote:

Hi.....I am contemplating installing a granite tile countertop. *All the
DIY pages use concrete backer board, or denshield, adhered to the
plywood underlay used to form the base for the replacement countertop.
What would happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the
plywood, and sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting
underneath? *I can see the need for backer board in say a shower stall
floor, but a countertop?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If the ply is thick enough, go ahead. However think of it this way.
The backer board
is cheap insurance.
* * * Lou

Suggest you really think this over as the tiles are liable to become
uneven with time , if you do sugest you use the backer board and a
good scratch coat . Test your tile for seal by putting canola oil on
them for 20 secs see if there is a mark left if so get another tile .
Also seal your grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Finlay Spicer" wrote in message
Hi.....I am contemplating installing a granite tile countertop. All the
DIY pages use concrete backer board, or denshield, adhered to the plywood
underlay used to form the base for the replacement countertop. What would
happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the plywood, and
sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting underneath? I can
see the need for backer board in say a shower stall floor, but a
countertop?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My original countertop was on particleboard, thin wax construction paper
above that and than a mortar bed for the tile. This original install lasted
20 years and no water damage to any of the particleboard below, even around
the sink area. I didn't trust my skills to do the same thing so I use
concrete backer board with plywood as cheap insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 8:00 pm, Finlay Spicer wrote:

What would happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the
plywood, and sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting
underneath? I can see the need for backer board in say a shower stall
floor, but a countertop?

Concrete board is more stable and will better withstand expanding and
contracting due to variations of temp and humidity over time, and it
won't warp.
-----

- gpsman

Granite Tile countertop dilemma Renata Woodworking 18 June 7th 07 01:13 AM
Help with granite countertop John M Home Repair 1 September 7th 06 01:16 PM
Granite Tile question Don Home Repair 10 December 19th 05 11:23 PM
Granite tile countertop questions Home Repair 4 December 8th 05 07:51 AM
Grout line between wall tile and granite countertop? Mike Hartigan Home Repair 3 January 25th 05 11:33 AM