Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default granite countertop tile question

"Finlay Spicer" wrote in message
Hi.....I am contemplating installing a granite tile countertop. All the
DIY pages use concrete backer board, or denshield, adhered to the plywood
underlay used to form the base for the replacement countertop. What would
happen if one just glued the granite tiles directly to the plywood, and
sealed them very well to prevent moisture from getting underneath? I can
see the need for backer board in say a shower stall floor, but a
countertop?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My original countertop was on particleboard, thin wax construction paper
above that and than a mortar bed for the tile. This original install lasted
20 years and no water damage to any of the particleboard below, even around
the sink area. I didn't trust my skills to do the same thing so I use
concrete backer board with plywood as cheap insurance.