Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Hair Under Polyurethane

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:41:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I just had my hardwood floors refinished, and a single, short, curly
hair (about 3/4" long) must have fallen onto the floor prior to the
last coat of poly, and now it is beneath that coat of poly. It sort-
of catches the light when you walk in and out of the room, so it is
quite noticable.

Is there any way to remove the hair (which is just beneath the
surface) without damaging the finish? If not, is there any way to
hide the disturbance to the finish? (Maybe one of those floor
cleaning solutions with poly?)

What kind of poly is in that floor cleaning solution you have in
parens? Not polyurethane? I don't think there is any cleaning
solution that dissolves polyurethane and if there were, it would make
a lot of people angry when all they wanted to do was clean.

I hate to argue with a regular here, but my experience is that
patching polyurethane is not noticeable.

So I might just sand out the hair with medium to fine sand paper,
finishing with as fine as you used on the floor before you finished
it, and then patch with polyurethane.

I had a bad experience when I poly'd the dining room of the apartment
I rented. The instructions i read said to buff with steel wool between
coats, and how long to wait before buffing. I did, and the steel wool
embedded itself all over the floor. I'd returned the sanders and
didn't want to sand again anyhow, so I just put another coat on.
Later I noticed that unlike hardwood floors with other finishes IME,
the poly wore off in the areas of high traffic. I don't remembdr if
I patched those areas or not.

You could test my suggestion by taking a 1x2 foot piece of wood and
polying 2/3rds, sanding down part of it, and then repolying the sanded
part, blending in to the undsanded part. You'd be using the exact
same brand of poly, so it might be a very good test.

You know, you miight try prying one end up with a hat pin, and then
lifteing it all out. You can't pull it out lenthwise or that would
leave an empty tube yhou'd never be able to fill. You'd still have to
sand.

Or you could wait a while and see if you still notice it. Are you
intending to put another coat on soon?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 7:44*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

No argument at all - different strokes and all that. It's just that
I've found people that object to a small imperfection don't appreciate
a different and larger imperfection - like a ring of variance in the
sheen around the repair. It's kind of like the first ding on your new
car - drives you nuts until you get some more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:39:23 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 20, 7:44*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I just got my first ding an hour ago, and I did it myself, at the
grocery store. From the shopping cart. I was parked sideways on a
hill, and this cart didn't have the plastic bumpers on the front
edges.

At least it's the first scratch since the car was repainted 18 months
ago, and right on my door.

Where can I get some more dings?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 20, 7:44*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Is this something I can legitimately call the floor guy back for, or
will he laugh me off the phone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 2:15*pm, wrote:

Is this something I can legitimately call the floor guy back for, or
will he laugh me off the phone?

Can't tell without seeing it. Post some pictures on one of those free
hosting sites then post the link(s) here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Where can I get some more dings?

Leave it in a Wal-Mart parking lot for twenty minutes.

Hair Under Polyurethane RicodJour Home Repair 2 August 21st 08 01:03 AM
DIY hair loss help [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 11th 06 06:33 PM
DIY hair loss help [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 11th 06 05:32 AM
Hair Sticks? Owen Lowe Woodturning 12 December 14th 05 03:55 PM
wash hair in kitchen sink: disposall does chop up hair, yes? David Combs Home Repair 12 November 30th 04 06:13 AM