Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing stucco on bedroom wall?

One wall in the master bedroom of my house has stucco on it, and it's
horribly ugly. I'm just wondering what the best way to get rid of it is. I
know I could just put a fake wall over it, but there's only about an inch of
space right now between the door frame and the wall, so I don't really want
to do that as we'd also like to replace the doors and get some nicer
(probably wider) trim for the doors.

We were thinking that it might be easier to just remove the stucco/gyproc
wall and replace it with new gyproc as opposed to trying to sand off the
existing stucco? Any suggestions? Is that a reasonable way to tackle it,
or would we be better off just sanding off the stucco?

Thanks
Heather

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormlady wrote:
One wall in the master bedroom of my house has stucco on it, and it's
horribly ugly. I'm just wondering what the best way to get rid of it
is. I know I could just put a fake wall over it, but there's only
about an inch of space right now between the door frame and the wall,
so I don't really want to do that as we'd also like to replace the
doors and get some nicer (probably wider) trim for the doors.

We were thinking that it might be easier to just remove the
stucco/gyproc wall and replace it with new gyproc as opposed to
trying to sand off the existing stucco? Any suggestions? Is that a
reasonable way to tackle it, or would we be better off just sanding
off the stucco?

Stucco is a cement product. It is normally close to 3/4 thick. Is that
what you have? if so (I doubt it) you aren't about to sand it off.

Since you are talking about an inside wall, I'm guessing you have a dry wall
that has been textured with drywall mud. That sands easily but it is likely
the paint on it won't. If there is no paint, you can remove it with a wet
sponge as long as it is the kind that dried rather than setting.

You also maybe able to just plaster over it with more drywall mud to create
a smoother surface.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Stormlady wrote:
One wall in the master bedroom of my house has stucco on it, and it's
horribly ugly. I'm just wondering what the best way to get rid of it
is. I know I could just put a fake wall over it, but there's only
about an inch of space right now between the door frame and the wall,
so I don't really want to do that as we'd also like to replace the
doors and get some nicer (probably wider) trim for the doors.

We were thinking that it might be easier to just remove the
stucco/gyproc wall and replace it with new gyproc as opposed to
trying to sand off the existing stucco? Any suggestions? Is that a
reasonable way to tackle it, or would we be better off just sanding
off the stucco?

Stucco is a cement product. It is normally close to 3/4 thick. Is that
what you have? if so (I doubt it) you aren't about to sand it off.

It's probably not stucco, but that's all I've ever heard it referred to
around here. It's an ugly spiky textured wall that I want to go away :-)

Since you are talking about an inside wall, I'm guessing you have a dry
wall that has been textured with drywall mud. That sands easily but it is
likely the paint on it won't. If there is no paint, you can remove it
with a wet sponge as long as it is the kind that dried rather than
setting.

It's been painted, and I have no idea what type it is. We just bought the
house a month ago and right now it's painted kind of a brown color. It
actually looks like a nice color on the regular walls, but on this wall it
looks like a shiny disaster. It actually doesn't look shiny on the other
walls, I guess it's something about this wall and the way it takes the
paint.

You also maybe able to just plaster over it with more drywall mud to
create a smoother surface.

That'll probably still cost us about 1/3 inch of space behind the door,
that's about how far the longest spikes stick out.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"dadiOH" wrote:

Stormlady wrote:
[...]

What about a sureform? Never tried doing a whole wall with one but it
should cut through paint and mud pretty readily.

If there is no paint, you can remove it with a wet
sponge as long as it is the kind that dried rather than setting.

You also maybe able to just plaster over it with more drywall mud to create
a smoother surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormlady wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Stormlady wrote:

(snip)
It's an ugly spiky textured wall that I want to go away :-)

(snip)
You also maybe able to just plaster over it with more drywall mud to
create a smoother surface.

That'll probably still cost us about 1/3 inch of space behind the door,
that's about how far the longest spikes stick out.

It sounds like you have a stipple finish.
http://www.mieuropeanstucco.com/stuccotexture.htm

Unless the wall used to be an exterior wall, the texture is most likely
drywall compound rather than stucco.

It'll be some work, but skim coat is probably the best way to get to a
smooth wall. You want to knock off as much of the texture as possible
before you start skimming. Any plaster/stucco supply should carry a
plaster plane. It isn't made for texture removal, but it works
reasonably well.
http://pavantools.net/p-plaster_plane_607.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Your original thought to bust out the old wall and put up new sheetrock is
certainly the simplest and quickest way. Save some of the old brown color
for a paint-matching machine, else you may end up repainting the room. If
you haven't worked with drywall before, get a bit of how-to help before you
do. It's dead simple, but a bit counter-intuitive once you get to the
taping.

Keith

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"dadiOH" wrote:

Stormlady wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 15, 5:43*pm, "K" wrote:
Your original thought to bust out the old wall and put up new sheetrock is
certainly the simplest and quickest way. *

snip

Absolutely the most time and cost effective thing to do. If drywall is
something new to you, download the PDF "Gypsum Construction Handbook"
from the USG Corp. website. There are over 350 pages of information in
it that should easily answer any questions you might have. Have fun!

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 5:43 pm, "K" wrote:
Your original thought to bust out the old wall and put up new sheetrock is
certainly the simplest and quickest way.

snip

Absolutely the most time and cost effective thing to do. If drywall is
something new to you, download the PDF "Gypsum Construction Handbook"
from the USG Corp. website. There are over 350 pages of information in
it that should easily answer any questions you might have. Have fun!

Joe

Sounds good, time and cost effective are what I'm looking for. If replacing
the whole wall is easier than trying to repair it, then I'm all for just
replacing it. I'll download that PDF file too, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormlady wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Stormlady wrote:
[...]