Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question on recessed can bulb sizing

I just installed some 4" recessed cans in a remodeled bathroom and am
choosing bulbs.

The Halo trim kits say that the max bulb wattage is a 50 Watt PAR20 or
a 50 Watt R20.

So, I have a halogen bulb (an R20) that says "40 Watt = 75 Watt" which
appears to be saying that this halogen bulb uses 40 Watt of
electricity to produce light that is equivalent (in some sense) to a
75 Watt incandescent.

Question: is this R20 bulb ok for my 4" can? I think it is and in
fact is slightly undersized since the trim kit allows a 50 Watt R20
and my R20 is only 40 Watt. Is that right? I probably should just
ignore the incandescent comparison but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2008 8:23 PM Mike spake thus:

I just installed some 4" recessed cans in a remodeled bathroom and am
choosing bulbs.

The Halo trim kits say that the max bulb wattage is a 50 Watt PAR20 or
a 50 Watt R20.

So, I have a halogen bulb (an R20) that says "40 Watt = 75 Watt" which
appears to be saying that this halogen bulb uses 40 Watt of
electricity to produce light that is equivalent (in some sense) to a
75 Watt incandescent.

Question: is this R20 bulb ok for my 4" can? I think it is and in
fact is slightly undersized since the trim kit allows a 50 Watt R20
and my R20 is only 40 Watt. Is that right? I probably should just
ignore the incandescent comparison but I want to make sure.

Since the size recommendation applies to power consumed by the bulb, not
equivalent light output, you should be just fine with the 40/75 w bulb.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I just installed some 4" recessed cans in a remodeled bathroom and am
choosing bulbs.

The Halo trim kits say that the max bulb wattage is a 50 Watt PAR20 or
a 50 Watt R20.

So, I have a halogen bulb (an R20) that says "40 Watt = 75 Watt" which
appears to be saying that this halogen bulb uses 40 Watt of
electricity to produce light that is equivalent (in some sense) to a
75 Watt incandescent.

Question: is this R20 bulb ok for my 4" can? I think it is and in
fact is slightly undersized since the trim kit allows a 50 Watt R20
and my R20 is only 40 Watt. Is that right? I probably should just
ignore the incandescent comparison but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

mh

You should be fine, and if for some reason that lamp, or any other lamp,
produced to much heat for the fixture, the internal temperature cutout would
cycle on and off

Boiler Sizing Question stevelup UK diy 16 December 27th 07 11:04 PM
UF sizing question... dpb Home Repair 0 January 31st 07 04:50 PM
Recessed light shorts out when bulb is installed bhudson Home Repair 2 December 14th 06 07:21 PM
Recessed Lighting.. what bulb size for basement? [email protected] Home Repair 14 March 30th 06 01:02 AM
Router sizing question [email protected] Woodworking 1 September 14th 05 09:08 PM