Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UV for killing bacteria in water

Dear Stevep...:

On Aug 10, 9:34*pm, wrote:
Skin cancer is over blown. No one ever died from it.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...n_Cancer.as p

*Lots* of people have died from it. It spreads from the skin to other
organs. But a reasonable (non-zero) amount of sun exposure is health
and good for you.

David A. Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Stevep...:

On Aug 8, 12:31*pm, wrote:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like
bacteria/lead/etc) bottled water anyone?

All the majors provide safe product. Just make sure the cap is
intact, and properly installed.

Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria
& floride.

If there is free chlorine in the water, the bacteria is nothing that
can hurt you.

And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9%
of bacteria in water?

If the UV light has sufficient intensity for the water flow rate, and
the water is not cloudy, and the organisms are not colony forming
(clumps of algae, say), then UV will do a fine job of backing up the
primarly sterilant applied to municipal water. It will not do
anything for taste, or reduce fluoride.

David A. Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 5:40 pm, "C & E" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

wrote:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in water? TIA.

Right. You can put almost any (relatively clear) water in a clear plastic
bottle, put the bottle in the sun for a few hours, and, presto, sterilized
water.

A less desireable 'presto' is outgassing of the plastic. Haven't you
noticed the taste of water left in the car for a couple of days?

I have sold, installed and serviced many hundreds of UV lights, some
under state DEP supervision.

UV does not kill, it prevents reproduction.

UV lights come in Class A and B versions. You want a Class A. Only A
can be used for the control of cysts and crypto and IIRC none are
rated for virus control.

Plastic will not last long in the strength, dose and specific narrow
band UV light produced by any UV light used for potable water
treatment; measuring that in hours to a few days would be my guess. It
will burn your skin and eyes much faster and worse than the arc from
any welder.

They all use crystal quartz for both the lamp sleeve and the lamp. It
is the photochemically clear material.

UV is approved for bacteria remediation in all US States. It works
very well IF it is applied correctly, there are numerous pretreatment
requirements, and IF the light is maintained properly on a timely
basis.

All UV lights must be properly sized for the peak demand gpm of water
flow they are expected to treat.

And some of the statements and advice in this thread is WAY OFF and
dangerous. I don't have time to wade through it all and comment on it.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 8:29*am, dlzc wrote:
Dear Stevep...:

On Aug 10, 9:34*pm, wrote:

Skin cancer is over blown. No one ever died from it.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...You_Need_To_Kn...

*Lots* of people have died from it.

Nope. Zero. It's a myth you've got suckered into believing. No one has
died from cancerous skin! Billions of people survive from damaged skin
daily. Most of us have damaged skin and cancerous skin. And it doesn't
spread fast either. By itself, skin cancer is so trivial that it's
meaningless.

*It spreads from the skin to other organs.

No it doesn't. Inner organs are deep within us. It would have to
traverse inches of flesh, bone, cartilige, muscel etc to reach organs
which is ridiculous. Furthermore, there's no way to prove it. It's a
theory of some nut of which only dummies believe. Furthermore how can
anyone know mere skin caused the liver to die when odds are that the
liver cancer grew at the same rate as the skin? Think.

I asked my wife, a nurse for decades and she's seen all kinds of
cancer patients and even she said nope, only "a few" (a tiny %)
complications. But even this just "belief" run amock because again,
who can know for sure what the source of the terminating cancer was,
maybe the organ itself ? ?

I also laugh when people call skin and blood organs even though the
"medical society" claim so. Pretty soon they'll call hair and finger
nails an organ. Is an oyster or turtle shell an organ? LoL.

*But a reasonable (non-zero) amount of sun exposure is health
and good for you.

Vitamin D (as in sunlight) in moderation (WAY MORE THAN ZERO) is very
good for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 8:36*am, dlzc wrote:
Dear Stevep...:

On Aug 8, 12:31*pm, wrote:

What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like
bacteria/lead/etc) bottled water anyone?

All the majors provide safe product. *Just make sure the cap is
intact, and properly installed.

So all the anti-bottled water people including many doctors are all
crazies? I think there's some truth in both sides of the argument,
that bottled water is better than most tap water, but not as good as
some. I never studied it much so can only reflect what I've read so
far.

Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria
& floride.

If there is free chlorine in the water, the bacteria is nothing that
can hurt you.

Floride, not chlorine. Bacteria is in the tap water therefore you can
conclude there's not enough chlorine or too much bacteria to begin
with or both, in which all three scenarios ain't too good.

And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9%
of bacteria in water?

If the UV light has sufficient intensity for the water flow rate, and
the water is not cloudy, and the organisms are not colony forming
(clumps of algae, say), then UV will do a fine job of backing up the
primarly sterilant applied to municipal water. *It will not do
anything for taste, or reduce fluoride.

True, but bacteria still exists. so evidently the internal use UV was
absent or weak or not near enough to my residence or both. If a large
city uses UV it's not enough because there's miles between the cities
UV and your tap. This means the potential of bacteria exposure
especially through old delapitated piping is high. All it takes is one
bacteria source. So you need to take matters into your own hands at
home when you find high counts of bacteria.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 11:59*am, Gary Slusser wrote:

I have sold, installed and serviced many hundreds of UV lights, some
under state DEP supervision.

UV does not kill, it prevents reproduction.

So UV will still work since bacteria longevity is hours to days right?

UV lights come in Class A and B versions. You want a Class A. Only A
can be used for the control of cysts and crypto and IIRC none are
rated for virus control.

Thanks. Good to know this.

Plastic will not last long in the strength, dose and specific narrow
band UV light produced by any UV light used for potable water
treatment; measuring that in hours to a few days would be my guess. It
will burn your skin and eyes much faster and worse than the arc from
any welder.

What strength are you talking here? It would have to be extremely
strong. But even if weaker UV is potentially dangerous to skin and
eye, like sunlight, don't look at it and don't expose yourself to it
too long. Fasten it with the light off and shield it and go away.
Nothing difficult to achieve.

They all use crystal quartz for both the lamp sleeve and the lamp. It
is the photochemically clear material.

UV is approved for bacteria remediation in all US States. It works
very well IF it is applied *correctly, there are numerous pretreatment
requirements, and IF the light is maintained properly on a timely
basis.

All UV lights must be properly sized for the peak demand gpm of water
flow they are expected to treat.

And some of the statements and advice in this thread is WAY OFF and
dangerous. I don't have time to wade through it all and comment on it.

"Applied correctly." I have a 1 gallon tank. I plan to tape it to the
side of my drinking water tank near the top tilted slightly downward
to capture as much water as possible and completely shield the light
leaving enough air to cool. Any further suggestions.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your input Gary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
jack wrote:

Right. You can put almost any (relatively clear) water in a clear
plastic bottle, put the bottle in the sun for a few hours, and,
presto, sterilized water.

And the proof of that is that dogs don't get sick after drinking
from
puddles!
I sure hope nobody follows that advice, cause we aren't dogs.

Right. A Dog's digestive system relies on a different mix of
chemicals than a human's. This different mix (I think it's fuming
Nitric Acid),

Nope, it's hydrochloric, same as in all other mammals.

kills almost everything. That which is still active, is
barfed up and the dog re-eats around the offending material.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 2:28 pm, wrote:
On Aug 11, 11:59 am, Gary Slusser wrote:

UV does not kill, it prevents reproduction.

So UV will still work since bacteria longevity is hours to days right?

Yes to 99.9999. Bacteria tend to have a much shorter life span than
that.

What strength are you talking here? It would have to be extremely
strong. But even if weaker UV is potentially dangerous to skin and
eye, like sunlight, don't look at it and don't expose yourself to it
too long. Fasten it with the light off and shield it and go away.
Nothing difficult to achieve.

Class A = 40 mJ/cm2

"Applied correctly." I have a 1 gallon tank. I plan to tape it to the
side of my drinking water tank near the top tilted slightly downward
to capture as much water as possible and completely shield the light
leaving enough air to cool. Any further suggestions.

That won't work, UV lights are built to allow the water to flow
through them and the light is contained inside the chamber.

Thanks for your input Gary.

You're welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 10:47*pm, Gary Slusser wrote:

Class A = 40 mJ/cm2

Super. Thanks!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I retested for high bacteria count in the bay area's drinking water
very carefully this time (to the hour and perfect temperature) with a
different test kit and results came out very negative .. which of
course is good news for the bay area.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post

UV lights come in Class A and B versions. You want a Class A. Only A
can be used for the control of cysts and crypto and IIRC none are
rated for virus control.
I agree that Class-A sytems are best for that treatment. NSF Standard-55 Class-A have been tested and certified to cover a number of parameters that Class-B system do not match.

BUT, not rated for virus treatment. Whew! That's news to me.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Aug 11, 10:47*pm, Gary Slusser wrote:

Class A = 40 mJ/cm2

Super. Thanks!!!!!!!
That 40 mj/cm2 wave length on Class-A systems are meant that they produce that amount at the end of their recommended life of around 9000 hours if certified by NSF.

Andy Chrstensen, CWS-II
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
UV does not kill, it prevents reproduction.

UV lights come in Class A and B versions. You want a Class A. Only A
can be used for the control of cysts and crypto and IIRC none are
rated for virus control.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Actually, UV lights DO kill and are very effective. I agree that Class A systems are superior, though.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II