Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home electricial testers

IMO DIYers would do better not to use a mulitmeter for home wiring.

The main tester I think home owners should use is one like this. It
tests voltage and continuity. No phantom readings.
http://tinyurl.com/5czhas

These are pretty handy too.
http://www.professionalequipment.com...rcuit-testers/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:16:00 -0400, metspitzer wrote:
IMO DIYers would do better not to use a mulitmeter for home wiring.

I tried a neon test light once; it was worthless, the capacitance
between adjacent wires in a romex cable was enough to display
continuity. I ended up creating a "test lamp" using a 15W bulb in a
lamp fixture to get the job done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
IMO DIYers would do better not to use a mulitmeter for home wiring.

The main tester I think home owners should use is one like this. It
tests voltage and continuity. No phantom readings.
http://tinyurl.com/5czhas

These are pretty handy too.
http://www.professionalequipment.com...rcuit-testers/

Before getting any tester (with the exception perhaps of the outlet tester)
the DIYer should first learn the basics of electricity.

Without that basic understanding, all the data that get from the meters of
any sort will not lead to a safe do it yourself repair.

If you screw up a carpentry job or the paint looks like hell a blunder there
will only hurt your pride and pocketbook.

Mess up an electrical project and you may get to meet the local fire
department or even worse the local EMTs or coroner.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

A tester like the one in the link will tell you if the circuit is
live/dead or open/closed.

Multi meters are very sensitive. With them, you can get phantom
voltage readings (Google it) which can be misleading.

"Most" DIYers will have better results testing for on/off or
make/break conditions.

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:35:59 +0000 (UTC), (David

PAT testers geoff UK diy 6 May 24th 08 09:56 AM
Electricial lights in vinyl siding. Terry Home Repair 20 December 24th 06 09:50 AM
Lead testers [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 24th 06 06:37 AM
Heating controls - is my electricial having a laugh at me? Tommy Gilchrist UK diy 4 July 10th 06 01:55 PM