Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Subpanel box wiring

On 2008-08-01, wrote:

I am nearly resigned to the idea of having to dig up my existing
wire and replace it with 10/3 w/g. I talked to a friend of mine
that does it regularly and he didn't think it is going to work with
the 10/2 w/g.

Your 10/2 can be properly used to provide 30 amps @ 120V. The 10/3
would provide 30 amps @ 240V. So the question is what will the peak
load be for the 3 circuits you want in your outbuilding? If it
doesn't exceed 30 amps, then you'll be fine with your 10/2.

If it does exceed 30 amps, you'll need to pull a different wire,
e.g. 10/3. With a 240V feeder, you can divide the 3 circuits among
the two phases, so that the peek draw on each phase never exceeds 30
amps. This will require a double pole breaker for the feeder.

I am only planning to run the black from a single pole, 30 amp
breaker from the main box on the house and the white from the
neutral. I have been unable to find a box that didn't have two rows
of breakers or I would have bought one.

While it is unusual, there is nothing wrong with using only one half
of a breaker box with a 120V feed. Or with jumping the two main lugs
so they are on the same phase. Note that if you are only using one
half of the breaker box, you need to look at the bus bar pattern to
see which slots to use. It is probably a zig-zag pattern, every other
slot in each row, with the two sets offset one.

Cheers, Wayne

Subpanel box wiring Wayne Whitney Home Repair 46 September 15th 08 05:56 AM
Subpanel box wiring [email protected] Home Repair 12 August 1st 08 04:56 PM
Subpanel wiring Pason Home Repair 18 November 9th 06 02:39 AM
Wiring subpanel - seperate ground / neutral DG Home Repair 6 April 2nd 06 05:47 AM