Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Furniture Gas-out..

I looked for a bookcase headboard locally and online. The only ones I
found were online and a couple of grand.

So, I lifted the measurements from one I liked and built it. After
letting everything dry and settle down after it was stained and sealed,
I installed it. But, because I'm very sensitive to such things, the
different smells kept me from getting the kind of sleep I was accustomed
to.

It smelled like mostly the pine that I smelled but who knows. How long
does new furniture normally take to gas out ..anyone have any idea...The
thing is with this type of furniture, it's right where your head is all
night..

In the mean time I put it back down in the workshop possibly until next
year..?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 6:02*pm, wrote:
I looked for a bookcase headboard locally and online. The only ones I
found were online and a couple of grand.

So, I lifted the measurements from one I liked and built it. After
letting everything dry and settle down after it was stained and sealed,
I installed it. But, because I'm very sensitive to such things, the
different smells kept me from getting the kind of sleep I was accustomed
to.

It smelled like mostly the pine *that I smelled but who knows. How long
does new furniture normally take to gas out ..anyone have any idea...The
thing is with this type of furniture, it's right where your head is all
night..

In the mean time I put it back down in the workshop possibly until next
year..?

So why is it behind your bed. Is it solid wood or plywood and veneer
Posted to alt.home.repair

Particle board and other man-made materials may contain formaldehyde.
But in your case it is most likely the finish. Most finishes will lose
their odor in a month or so, but you didn't say which finish was used.
Put the piece in a well-ventilated and dry area (no sun) for a few
weeks.
------------------

Thanks.. I used an off the shelf stain and sealer applied over a couple
of weeks. I think it was a minwax product...I also tricked it out with a
power strip near the bottom of one side (attached with liquid nails). I
wonder if that has a long curing time..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 8:50*pm, wrote:
Particle board and other man-made materials may contain formaldehyde.
But in your case it is most likely the finish. Most finishes will lose
their odor in a month or so, but you didn't say which finish was used.
Put the piece in a well-ventilated and dry area (no sun) for a few
weeks.

Thanks.. I used an off the shelf stain and sealer applied over a couple
of weeks. I think it was a minwax product...I also tricked it out with a
power strip near the bottom of one side (attached with liquid nails). *I
wonder if that has a long curing time..

Liqued nails made me real sick when I glued foamboard in a room to
walls. Let it all air one month, you wont smell liqued nails, but it
off gasses as do paints and stains.