Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to find good window installer

Greetings,

I need to replace seven basement windows and have settled on vinyl
sliders for the 38x25 brick openings.

I've been to a zillion different web sites and read about different
manufacturers (Alside, Gilkey, Feldco [local], Thermal Industries,
Simonton, American Craftsman...) and what it seems to really boil down
to is the installer. A lousy installer can trash the most expensive
window and a good installer can make the most of the low- or mid-range
products.

I've read online reviews until I'm cross-eyed and again, but while
window brands may be available nationally, the install is truly a
local issue and reviews aren't numerous enough to be meaningful.

So, how exactly do you know that you're hiring a quality installer?
The big box sub-contractors are such a crap shoot, and although Sears
Home supposedly stands (eventually) behind their installers, they were
very pricey, meaning I'm paying for someone's bad install, somewhere.

~JMA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 10:20*pm, wrote:
[...]

The best way is double check the work yourself as it goes and before
you pay, read instalation manuals and warranty online at a site like
Pella. A few ideas, the window cant fit to tight, be screwed to tight
that the frame bows and it sticks, the space inbetween the window and
frame should be insulated, I think fiberglass. Caulk everything. Most
important is Plumb, Level and Square. Pella , Anderson, dont allow
more than 1/8" out or warranty is void from day one. Some comanies may
have zero tolerance, im not sure. Or hire someone to oversee it. A way
to be sure is hire the companies crew, Pella, Marvin, Anderson have
certified stores and installers. I had Pellas and Anderson put in by a
hack that had to be redone. Consider Glass block, you get 2-3x the
insulating R value than glass. Yes hacks do ruin the best windows and
doors from rushing jobs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had HD do a whole house worth of windows for me. I piecemealed it as
I had the money. I ended up with 2 different crews over time. Home
depot makes sure it gets done right. I had very little problem..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had HD do a whole house worth of windows for me. I piecemealed it as
I had the money. I ended up with 2 different crews over time. Home
depot makes sure it gets done right. I had very little problem..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 5:53*pm, wrote:
I had HD do a whole house worth of windows for me. *I piecemealed it as
I had the money. I ended up with 2 different crews over time. *Home
depot makes sure it gets done right. I had very little problem..

I wonder, have you checked plumb, level and square on all windows, HD
subs and only "makes sure" when you complain of an issue. But they
will fix things.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I'd go with Pella or Andersen and use one of their certified installers. By
the way the most important thing is the flashing. Pella makes great tape
for that purpose.